Menu
Ashg
Up to speed
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

V6 Ethernet connection using a powered netgear hub

At present my VM hub is in a back room and my TV is at the front of the house. I already have a system for connecting  any internet devices in my front room via a cable to a netgear Ethernet five point powered hub (switch). My PC and DVD player plus PS are connected using this method. I do not wish to change this setup if possible because my house in not WI-FI friendly and a powerline booster is not possible either  

I would like to know if I can put a V6 box which I already have in the front room and just plug its ethernet connection into the netgear hub which in turn connects to the VM hub in the back room.

Has anyone done this and what are the problems if any?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Ethernet connection using a powered netgear hub

As long as the V6 remains connected to the network by its coax cable then the ethernet connection should be fine for it to work ok. If you dont have a VM coax connection at the new location you will need a VM engineer to come and fit one for you - £99.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Ashg
Up to speed
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I did think it would be OK . My VM coax connection is outside at the front on the house. Fitting a DIY splitter is easy at that point inside the house. That's the way it's done at the back of the house so it's an easy copy around the front and about £2.50 for the cable splitter not £99. Smiley Very Happy 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

DIY cabling is against the VM T&C's
I can testify from personal (well my lad's) experience that it shouldn't be attempted. VM cables/splitters/etc are "magical" - not like the cheap tat that you get on Amazon or the Bay.
If you do it you will potentially unbalance your neighbours' connections and cause them problems and they will call out engineers who will check all the connections in the area (including yours and my lads!) to pinpoint where the issue is coming from. Fortunately, the possibility of disconnecting me and then charging to reconnect wasnt invoked and a cup of tea meant the engineer was happy to rip out my lads £2.50 cable and fit a proper one - it cured the neighbours connection problem too.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Ashg
Up to speed
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

That's because the VM ones have isolator in place which is not "magicial" but their prices are 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Isolator fairies don't come cheap. Smiley Happy

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

VM does supply splitters, one is included in the Quickstart pack. Once the V6 has been relocated I'd think it a good idea to cap the wall socket, VM can provide the 75 ohm terminator cap. A forum team member should be able to sort this out.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Ashg
Up to speed
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I don't think you have read my post. So from you've answer that would mean I would have to run 20 plus meters of coaxial cable from the back to the front of my house. From what I understand you cannot do that because of the signal drop. Plus I would have to do that internally which is not possible. 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

All's that's needed is to remove the cable from the hub and split it, one leg for the hub, one for the V6.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Ashg
Up to speed
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Sorry you are way off topic and my original question, which has been answered. 

0 Kudos