cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 Box stuck on Welcome Screen

Chronicle1980
On our wavelength

So just got home and wife started at me about the TV Box not working, its stuck on the multi-language welcome screen and the box is making some weird noise and whirring. Occasionally get some sort off download symbol on the screen, probably the best way to describe it. This disappears and then we just get the multi-language welcome screen and the whirring noise again. Stuck in some update loop maybe?

Asked her if she had rung Virgin support and she had, she followed all there recommendations - disconnect everything, switch off for 5 mins, plug everything back in. Which she did, and I have repeated when I got home. I also did the same with the router, just in case.

Apparently she was told that they were running some tests and and they would ring her back within 3 hours - that's now 6 hours ago and still no call back and we have the same fault. No change.

The remote doesn't work so cant get into the menu to do a hard reset.

Anyone any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks Zak, all sorted now.

Engineer came out this morning and replaced the box.

He confirmed that the hard drive was bricked and replaced the whole unit.

Even got a new remote out of it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Chronicle1980 wrote:

So just got home and wife started at me about the TV Box not working, its stuck on the multi-language welcome screen and the box is making some weird noise and whirring. Occasionally get some sort off download symbol on the screen, probably the best way to describe it. This disappears and then we just get the multi-language welcome screen and the whirring noise again. Stuck in some update loop maybe?

Almost certainly, yes - potentially a hard drive failure if you're hearing whirring noises. No amount of remote investigations are going to alter, or fix, that.

The correct answer from the faults agent should have been, to arrange a tech visit here - with a view to your box being replaced. I'd suggest calling back and hoping someone else who answers is able to arrange this.

If you still have issues after trying, then post back.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good evening @Chronicle1980 

Welcome back to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post 

I am sorry to hear that you are having some issues with your V6 box. 

Are you able to let me know if you have a managed to speak with the technical support team since your last post? 

If not we can take a further look into this for you. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Thanks Zak, all sorted now.

Engineer came out this morning and replaced the box.

He confirmed that the hard drive was bricked and replaced the whole unit.

Even got a new remote out of it.