cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 Box random sound cuts, now randomly restarts

Barbpp
Joining in

I have already called support and also logged a complaint through the Virgin Media website, but I want to detail my situation so that anyone with similar problems might know what to expect.

I have a V6 box since 2019. For the past month, the sound from the V6 box has randomly been cutting out, lasting around 2 seconds each time. It doesn't matter what channel, or if it is using the apps.
In the past week, this has become worse, with the V6 completely resetting randomly, taking some 6 or 7 minutes to boot back up each time. This is extremely frustrating.
I called the Virgin Media support team, and after explaining everything and their tests, they said that they can't replace the box if they can't see anything in their system that is wrong with it. Given that this is happening randomly, I would have to stay on the phone with support for hours just to get lucky that the fault happens while on the phone - and even then, the box seems to be working regularly aside from those random resets. My guess, from reviewing this forum, is that the box is short-circuiting.

So I have a box that randomly resets. I asked, explicitly, if I will have to wait until the box completely short circuits before I can have it replaced - and the Virgin Media support said yes. To be clear, the support team was efficient and explained things to me clearly. The problem I have with this situation is that I have a faulty box, which I assume is due to some internal short-circuit happening, and Virgin Media policy is that it will only be replaced when it completely shorts out. So if it takes months for it to happen, I am stuck with randomly resetting TV service for months. This is not acceptable.

2 REPLIES 2

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Barbpp wrote:

So I have a box that randomly resets

I agree with you. Regardless of the reasons for the reboots, any TV box that is restarting anything more than occasionally and overnight, has a fault.

I suspect that if you callback and speak to another agent, they will follow the correct course of action and arrange a tech visit with a view to replacing your V6.

Alternatively you could wait on here for the forum staff to respond, which may take a couple of days.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Barbpp. 

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to hear you are having an issue with V6 resetting its self.

I agree this need immediate action and the box needs swapping out. 
I'd like to take a look into this for you and get it swapped.
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L