Menu
Highlighted
pittster2012
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

V6 Box Upstairs Away from Modem

Hi there,

We are having  V6 box delivered for a self install next week. We already currently have Virgin Broadband but have upgraded to include TV also. This will be the only box we are using as we already currently have sky as our main tv supply (don't ask why we are having both - for some reason works out cheaper!)

My question is, that can we connect the V6 box upstairs without a direct wired connection to the hub? We have a virgin socket in the bedroom concerned, but the hub is downstairs in the lounge and obviously would prefer to be able to use the V6 upstairs without being wired to the hub.

Thanks

Lisa

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V6 Box Upstairs Away from Modem

Yes, the V6 can get its internet connection by ethernet (wired) or WiFi - the WiFi signal needs to be strong enough though (PowerLine adaptors are an option too).

Keith

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

you can use wireless if the signal is good enough or powerline adapters. but the box will need to be connected to the VM network by coax. If the box upstairs is no longer connected you will need an engineer to install it

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

pittster2012
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ok thank you, hopefully it is connected! I'm not sure if it is though. How do we know, just by trying the self install?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

On the TV remote.  Home>Help & Settings>Settings>Network>Show connection status

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@pittster2012 wrote:

Hi there,

We are having  V6 box delivered for a self install next week. We already currently have Virgin Broadband but have upgraded to include TV also. This will be the only box we are using as we already currently have sky as our main tv supply (don't ask why we are having both - for some reason works out cheaper!)

Thanks

Lisa

Gives you the best of both worlds. If you are taking Full House TV you will have the following channels that are not available on Sky:

Paramount Channel HD

ITV Be HD

MTV Live HD

Eden HD

4Seven HD

H2 HD

Love Nature HD & SD

Freesports HD

ZooMoo HD

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Wise owl
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi as apcyberax has explained, you will have a coaxial cable to the broadband but you will need a spur off it to the location where you intend to have the V6, if you don't already have that cable in place you will require an engineer to install it and the box.Regards Micky
0 Kudos