cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 Box Losing connection

brian5
On our wavelength

Until recently I had a V6 box in the living room and a Tivo in the bedroom, the Tivo went bad and I had an engineer out who replaced it with a V6 box, later that day I noticed the box in the living room wasn't connecting for On Demand etc, tried connecting through settings, but got the "Network Cable Unplugged" message.

It's never been connected by a cable, it's always been WiFi, anyway, I checked all cables, then rebooted the box and it then connected, all good, that was a couple of weeks ago, but last night we tried on demand, and it had lost the connection again, fault code N27. I have rebooted the box again and it's working for now, but why is it losing the connection? Is it a sign that the box is failing?, I really can't remember when we got this box, but it's got to be at least 5 years now.

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What's the wireless signal strength reported as? Follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and check in the top-right.

Do you have any issues with other WiFi devices when they're used in the same place as the V6?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

brian5
On our wavelength

Signal strength is 72%, no other issues

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So presumably the V6 is working normally but "randomly" gets these issues which you resolve by a restart?

First thing is to swap the 2 V6 around and see if the problem follows the location, or the box - assuming the signal strength isn't identical in both.

Are you able to plug an Ethernet cable into the V6 (even if not connected to a router at the other end) and disconnect it, to see if this triggers the V6 to toggle the connection? Wired should override wireless.

Does your home-hub have a single SSID (WiFi name) across both 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz bands?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hello brian5

Sorry to hear of the V^ issues you're experiencing since the recent change, we appreciate you taking the time to raise this via the forums 

I've taken a look at your account and one of the V6 boxes is showing as offline, can yo confirm if you swapped the boxes around? If so, can you let us know if they are both turned on?

Can you also confirm if this just impacts On Demand or does it effect live TV also?

Rob

brian5
On our wavelength

Didn't swap boxes around, it's still working so far,

Second box is on standby, it's really only used when my granddaughter stays over.

Live TV and Recordings all work fine, Only seems to affect On Demand.

I can swap boxes, but as this seems to be an intermittent fault, it might not happen again for ages, if at all.

Hi brian5, thanks for the message. I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the connection and this is not the experience which we want you to have with us. I would recommend rebooting the box to see if anything changes. Looks like the issue is resolved for the moment and please do let us know when it happens again and we will look into this further. ^Chris.