cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 Box DVD Recorder TV Scart Setup

PaullieeTV
Tuning in

Hello

I recently got the V6 Box which i'm hugely upset about has it has no Scart slots at all

So now i can't connect my DVD recorder to my V6 box, So i'm asking how i can work a way around all this?

My TV has 3 HDMI slots and 1 Scart slots

V6 Box has 1 HDMI and no Scart slot

My DVD Recorder has 1 HDMI slot and 2 Scart slots

Can anyone help me with this and the stuff i need to buy on Amazon i need a actual working method as i spent £30 on one method that didn't work

35 REPLIES 35

Be aware that not all of these devices are shipped with a USB power adapter, so check on what you will be getting. It's frustrating when you have new kit which you cannot use...

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Roger_Goonerwrote:

So tell me Ernie how is it that down the years the TV boxes up to and including the TiVo have SCART sockets for copying programmes to a DVD recorder, but the removal of the SCART socket from the V6 equates to illegal copying.

The VCR SCART is a legacy feature from the days where the VCR was the only means of timeshifting. The V+ retained this (as did Sky+) so the box could sit between the VCR & the TV, as many TV's only incorporated one SCART socket & equipment had to be daisy chained. There was only one SCART on the TiVO for legacy TV's. The copy to VCR firmware was also removed.

Now, with HDD recorders the copyright holders have finally got their way. This was always going to happen.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@nodrogdwrote:

@Roger_Goonerwrote:

So tell me Ernie how is it that down the years the TV boxes up to and including the TiVo have SCART sockets for copying programmes to a DVD recorder, but the removal of the SCART socket from the V6 equates to illegal copying.

The VCR SCART is a legacy feature from the days where the VCR was the only means of timeshifting. The V+ retained this (as did Sky+) so the box could sit between the VCR & the TV, as many TV's only incorporated one SCART socket & equipment had to be daisy chained. There was only one SCART on the TiVO for legacy TV's. The copy to VCR firmware was also removed.

Now, with HDD recorders the copyright holders have finally got their way. This was always going to happen.

Also the scart socket wasn't for copying to VCR it was for pre HD CRT TV's that some people still have 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@dannylauwrote:

@nodrogdwrote:

@Roger_Goonerwrote:

Also the scart socket wasn't for copying to VCR it was for pre HD CRT TV's that some people still have 

It was actually. SCART has 2 output methods, CVBS & RGB. The vast majority of TV sets could use RGB. The VCR SCARTs only provided CVBS as this was the only connection a VCR could use. All Analogue is non HD, be it via RGB or CVBS. CVBS was also only provided at 240 lines resolution, not 625.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Where does it state in T&Cs or in any authoritative document that the SCART socket is only for connecting to a TV? There has never been such a restriction,  @nodrogd is right. And my Scientific Atlanta V+ HD had two SCART sockets, one marked TV the other VCR. The TV socket supported RGB, so I used that one to connect to my DVD recorder. Helpfully, the V+ user guide had a page entitled Copy to VCR/DVD with a step-by-step guide on how to do this.

Don't you love the way that people with legacy equipment get ignored as providers market their UHD boxes.

--

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It’s not Virgin Media or Sky, it’s the copyright holders who want to protect their assets, hence HDMI standards with HDCP copy protection.

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Roger_Goonerwrote:

Don't you love the way that people with legacy equipment get ignored as providers market their UHD boxes.

They also ignore people who don't have widescreen TV's, 405-line monochrome analogue television is no longer supported, times move on scart has been around since 1977 and like VCR's it has had it's day.

I disagree that Big Brother Knows Best.

--

kim1963
On our wavelength

I had Tivo connected to dvd recorder. ' Upgraded ' (that's a laugh) to V6 box. I've been told that V6 box has signal blocked, so whatever you try wont work. I've tried so many connections and ways to do it. I hope I'm wrong and someone will find a way. It's really bad that V6 box has a small scart lead connection but doesn't work. Why? If there's anyone from Virgin on here please tell why it's not enabled. Why is it on there? What's the point??? . Don't mention copyright rubbish as I have a dvd recorder which records from freeview.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@kim1963wrote:

I had Tivo connected to dvd recorder. ' Upgraded ' (that's a laugh) to V6 box. I've been told that V6 box has signal blocked, so whatever you try wont work. I've tried so many connections and ways to do it. I hope I'm wrong and someone will find a way. It's really bad that V6 box has a small scart lead connection but doesn't work. Why? If there's anyone from Virgin on here please tell why it's not enabled. Why is it on there? What's the point??? . Don't mention copyright rubbish as I have a dvd recorder which records from freeview.

The design was no doubt created some years ago before it was decided what would be used in the final product. There were Ethernet & USB sockets on the V+HD, but they were also never used. Unless you can write your own TiVO firmware I should give up. It is the firmware that provides the downscaling for Analogue & AFAIK the V6 firmware no longer has this component.

I also have a Freeview HD recorder that can copy to Blu-ray disks (once you have recorded to the internal hard disk). The firmware limits you to making 1 copy on Blu-ray & then locks the recording. Panasonic no longer make this model, & all their latest recorders only have Blu-ray players. You can only record to the HDD.

In short, if you still have a DVD recorder look after it because you are unlikely to get a new one.