Menu
Hoof_Hearted
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Box Connections

@quadbodwrote:

Many thanks!  That's probably saved me a lot of wasted time wondering why it doesn't work!

I'm very grateful you took the time to reply.

Indeed.  I had the same question.

0 Kudos
ScubadaveUK
Tuning in
Message 12 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I'm confused how the Virgin V6 boxes & Router are cabled. Looking at having 2 x V6 boxes plus a Broadband Router, is the Virgin input split into 3 outputs as opposed to the usual 2 so there are 3 Coax cables, one for each V6 and one for the router, I've been searching for a wiring diagram without much success.

For Internet connection I assume the V6 boxes can be hardwired into the router or run over Wifi

Any information would be appreciated

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 13 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Every Virgin Media box, TV or broadband, requires a cable co-ax connection. You will need three such connections at convenient locations for where you want the broadband and two V6s located.

In addition, each V6 requires connected to the home network produced by your broadband connection. This connection can be either a direct Ethernet cable connection, Ethernet over powerline adapters or WiFi.

The choice of which type is made to ensure the best, stable connection of the V6s to your home network and to each other for MultiRoom Streaming.

ScubadaveUK
Tuning in
Message 14 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ernie, I assume the VM Engineer will therefore supply a 3 way splitter for the cable.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 15 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Yes, the engineer will provide all the materials. Be sure he/she installs the equipment where you want it and demonstrates its use to you.

0 Kudos
scotty001
Up to speed
Message 16 of 25
Flag for a moderator

A crude drawing of a standard 2x v6 box install (with the 2nd V6 connecting to the 3.0 hub via wifi

VM.jpg

There will be 1x coax from the wall plate going to a 3 way splitter

at the spliter

1st port, coax to Hub

2nd port, coax to main V6

3rd port, coax  to 2nd V6

From Hub to main V6 cat 6 Ethernet cable (supplied)

If you cant use wifi to connect your 2nd V6 to the main V6 / Hub then you would need either power line adaper to plug into the wall sockets or run a 2nd Cat 6 cable from the 2nd V6 (not shown on the above diagram)

I have a V6 in the front room and Tivo in the main bedroom, full fresh install, VM provided all equipment (coax, cat6 from hub to main V6, splitters). The coax from the splitter to main bedroom runs along the skirting to the door frame, up over and down door frame & through the wall, follows skirting all the way up the wall of the stairs, up over and down another door frame, along the skirting all the way down the hallway, up over and down a 3rd door frame and through the wall into the bedroom, then along the skirting to where i wanted the TV to be sat. No extra cost, just tell them where you want the cable to run. For me they couldn't run the cable up the outside of the building due to the build of the house (townhouse with bedroom on 2nd floor) and an overhang. there would have been a lot less cox used if they could have done the install this way but they couldnt.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 17 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@Ernie_Cwrote:

Yes, the engineer will provide all the materials. Be sure he/she installs the equipment where you want it and demonstrates its use to you.

except the cat 6 (if needed) nor will they run the Ethernet cable

Roger_Gooner
Super solver
Message 18 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I don't think that the engineer will drill holes or lift floorboards. If this is needed to run the coax and Ethernet cables then get it done before he arrives.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
0 Kudos
scotty001
Up to speed
Message 19 of 25
Flag for a moderator

They drilled the holes needed for my install (coax only) , I'm pretty sure that i had to sign something saying that VM do not accept any form of liability for any for of damage / subsequent damage by doing so, that i authorize them to drill the hole through the partition wall in the understanding that it is at my peril.

Unless they have changed their install practices since. Worst case scenario I'm sue they will let you use their drill and pipe / stud detector, and ask you to be the one holding the drill to make the hole needed.

0 Kudos
Hoof_Hearted
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@scotty001wrote:

They drilled the holes needed for my install (coax only) , I'm pretty sure that i had to sign something saying that VM do not accept any form of liability for any for of damage / subsequent damage by doing so, that i authorize them to drill the hole through the partition wall in the understanding that it is at my peril.

Unless they have changed their install practices since. Worst case scenario I'm sue they will let you use their drill and pipe / stud detector, and ask you to be the one holding the drill to make the hole needed.

Was that a Freudian slip or a deliberate mistake?  Smiley LOL

0 Kudos