cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 BOX FREEZING AND THEN REBOOTED AND STUCK ON STARTUP

ALF28
Super solver

V6 issues- no tv at all this evening on virgin, using freeview now.

This hapened again today, picture freezes and than goes black and V6 reboots buts sticks on starting up. Rebooting with power off/on did not resolve this so rang 150 and they put signals to the equipment and sent an udate to my box, and after being stuck for 15minutes or more it restarted and ran for half an hour but has now gone off again and white light has gone gone out then turned green with loss af all channels, also making a strange noise. Light now turned red and trying to restart on welcome screen, then starting up again but seems to stick. I have connected an ethernet lead direct from my own router and rebooted and back on starting up but sticking again.

Virgin say they can not support a third party router so does this mean I need to reconnect to the hub3 and Take out of modem mode in order to check if the V6 box will then work?

Status check on tv and broadband all checked and no area or equipment issues.

I will ring 150 again if keeps happening and perhaps take my hub 3 out of modem mode?

It has just come back on after starting up for half an hour but seems eratic and channels sometimes all go off, but is working now but for how long?

Box is warm but not hot, but has a quiet whiring noise inside and sometimes a clicking noise.

network connected ok via ethernet now and has been updated today 12.15 (may have missed this) next update 18.33 today so will see if that helps as it may have missed an update?

hard disc seems ok plays recordings.

alf28

17 REPLIES 17

Thanks for the advice/help

In your V6 power-saving, check that you don't have Eco lower-power enabled, this also disables remote access to your box. Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Devices > Power saving

I checked my setting and it is set to always on.

You can reset your V6 by following Home > Help & Settings > Clear or restart.

When the V6 is frozen, or stuck on startup I can not access settings to do a restart from the menu, but would there be any benefit to do this while the box is working, would this correct any faults for instance?

I would avoid the clear option as I think this would delete my recordings?

The V6 is a much better box than the TiVo - absolutely no question.

I will take your word that the V6 is better than a tivo, my previous tv box was a V box about 3 years ago, with no recording, that did not require a network connection but is now superceded, but it was an excellent box for just TV and catchup, (before apps came along)

alf28

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ALF28 wrote:

When the V6 is frozen, or stuck on startup I can not access settings to do a restart from the menu, but would there be any benefit to do this while the box is working, would this correct any faults for instance?

If your V6 is frozen, you can just toggle the power rocker switch on the back. As for restarting the box "just because", I don't see any reason you should have to - it sounds like you're looking for things to fix!

@ALF28 wrote:

I would avoid the clear option as I think this would delete my recordings?

All the reset options have clear on-screen guidance as to what's lost, and you can read these pages without having to carry through with the reset. A simple reset doesn't lose recordings.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi ALF28, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that you are having an issue with your V6 box. 

I've gone in to the account to run some checks on it today and it's currently showing as offline so none of the checks are going through. 

Can you please turn the box on, leave on and post back here once it is on so we can run the needed checks. Once you have posted here, please leave the box on until we respond to you 🙂

Hopefully we'll be able to see what's going on and can then take steps to get things resolved. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Kath_F wrote:

I've gone in to the account to run some checks on it today and it's currently showing as offline so none of the checks are going through. 

Can you please turn the box on, leave on and post back here once it is on so we can run the needed checks. Once you have posted here, please leave the box on until we respond to you 🙂

Also check that you're not using "Eco low power mode" - Home > Help & Settings > Devices > Power saving

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

thanks,

The V6 device settings is power always on, definately not on eco setting.

The V6 should be on now,  as usual, but as I use my own router is in modem mode, the V6 may not be visible for fault finding, I have had that comment when I have called help from 150 help line in the past (3 weeks ago), they say we can not see your V6 box, My own test using the test checks from the status showed TV was  OK at the time of the fault last week when it stuck on startup

Since the 150 help line sent through reset signals, the V6 has continued to work OK, so "no problems" at present thanks, the V6 is running normally.

If the fault occurs again I will post on this thread, it seems to happen occassionally and is a recurring issue, often a restart will happen while watching a tv programme for no apparant reason, that has always happened for years and I assume it is virgin interupting the V6 box for some reason but it usually comes back on.

alf28

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ALF28 wrote:

The V6 should be on now,  as usual, but as I use my own router is in modem mode, the V6 may not be visible for fault finding,

Modem mode doesn't directly cause this.

@ALF28 wrote:

often a restart will happen while watching a tv programme for no apparant reason

Planned restarts are usually overnight. Very rarely - if ever - during the day.

Hi there @ALF28

So sorry for the delay in getting back to you, the box is currently showing as offline again.

Are you able to pop it on today and I'll take another look at it?

Thank you again. 

Thanks, but no issues at the moment, the V6 is working fine, and has been on since 8.00am through till 12.00pm and functioning correctly.

Not sure why it was showing offline but I switch off tv equipment outside of these times.

The sytem and diagnostics all look good and I have replced my remote battery which was down at 49%..

If I have any future startup issues I will update this thread.

alf28