cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use virgin tv connection for standard aerial

Alexl27
Joining in

No longer wish to use virgin tv. Can I plug a standard aerial in here to receive freeview? 771C1212-3D2F-4BDC-A60D-AABED048B049.jpegFAEB4931-06C3-4F34-92CF-5D944913CCB9.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I may be getting the wrong end of the stick here, but...

Virgin Media is a cable TV/broadband network, which has nothing to do with Freeview.

To use Freeview, you need a standard aerial connection to your TV. Virgin's cables carry Freeview channels, but you need an active subscription to view them.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I may be getting the wrong end of the stick here, but...

Virgin Media is a cable TV/broadband network, which has nothing to do with Freeview.

To use Freeview, you need a standard aerial connection to your TV. Virgin's cables carry Freeview channels, but you need an active subscription to view them.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

thank you. Yes, but We are now looking to revert to use the standard aerial connection (no longer want to pay the high cost of virgin tv as it isn’t used)  but don’t know what happened to the aerial connection which used to be here! 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Alexl27,

If there's an external aerial on your roof then you should be able to follow the wiring and see where it enters your property. It may then just be a case of joining the connection with extra wiring to extend the aerial to where your TV is situated.

There are many perfectly adequate indoor aerials available from places such as Amazon and Argos for under £25. The reception though may vary due to the strength of the signal and distance from local transmitter.

Another factor, seldom mentioned is the actual TV tuner as some aren't capable of receiving all Freeview channels eg those smart channels via the internet.

Also bear in mind you will lose the recording abilities of the Virgin boxes, although some TV's and set top boxes allow you to record to hard drives or usb sticks.

Also not all TV's have access to catch up services, especially some of the recent LG's which don't currently have Freeview Play, and rely on apps instead, of which All4 and My5 are missing.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'll just add a couple of extra thoughts into the mix here..

newapollo's mentioned "smart channels via the internet" - all Freeview channels are "broadcast" channels in the sense of BBC1, Gold HD, National Geographic etc - these have a channel number on the programme guide. The term "smart" in TV terms generally refers to streaming and app-based platforms that aren't broadcast but are carried over the internet. Just to bear in mind.

You've mentioned about cancelling your VM-TV package, just also keep an open-mind on whether keeping it but dropping down the basic "mixit" is another option - you'll keep all the recording facilities and use of your VM box, but the channels will be broadly comparable to Freeview. Sometimes there's not much difference in pricing, sometimes there is. When you call to give 30days disconnection notice on your VM-TV service, they can probably compare prices for you.

The suggestion of just following the cabling from any existing aerial to see where it leads, is ultimately the best way of establishing what connections you have.