cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade of TV and Broadband

gibsonj100
Tuning in

Hi. I hope this hasn't been posted previously.  I have upgraded my 200MB to 350Mb and changed my TV package 3 days ago.  Media Hub 3.0 arrived today and installed OK.  Rebooted Tivo 6 box to pick up new channels etc.  Box keeps recycling start up. Welcome screen - 'Starting up' then sometimes seems to try and download files.  Left trying for hours without success. Tried all connections, changed ethernet and hdmi cables and hdmi port - still faulty.  Diagnostics indicate 'connection problem.  Is it likely to be the box and is it best to get a technician out?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi. Thanks for the swift reply.  I've been around all my wifi stuff and updated the ssid logins.  The TIVO box is connected directly to the router with an ethernet cable.  I've tried the original cable and another one with no success.  I've also rebooted everything till I'm bored stiff.  You raised a good point though. By the way can you connect the TIVO via wifi? I'll have a look.

Thanks again

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is the box connected to your hub by Ethernet or WiFi?

If it was connected by WiFi did you change the WiFi SSID & password to those of the new hub?

Any updates come through the internet connection from the Hub. If this is not working it will cause problems.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi. Thanks for the swift reply.  I've been around all my wifi stuff and updated the ssid logins.  The TIVO box is connected directly to the router with an ethernet cable.  I've tried the original cable and another one with no success.  I've also rebooted everything till I'm bored stiff.  You raised a good point though. By the way can you connect the TIVO via wifi? I'll have a look.

Thanks again

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

For clarity and avoidance of doubt, can you confirm whether you have a TiVo or a V6? I think a V6, but let's be clear (and forget for now, that V6 runs TiVo software... if you're not sure, check here 

TiVo boxes have their internet connection inbuilt and the Ethernet is only for multiroom streaming

V6 boxes need the homehub for an internet connection - which can be either Ethernet or WiFi, although Ethernet is always recommended.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Yes you are correct it's a V6 - about to becom a V6 rocket if I get my boot behind it. I have an ethernet connection from the V6 to the Media Hub 3.0.

Thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If Ethernet connection on a V6 then that should be fine.

Having just re-read your initial post... "Box keeps recycling start up. Welcome screen - 'Starting up' then sometimes seems to try and download files"

If it's stuck in the reboot/boot-up cycle and won't complete, this will need VM intervention. Although to check that the other obvious bits are covered off..

1: What has changed about your setup? Is it just a regrade of your broadband speed or has any hardware been swapped?

2: Do other devices connected to the same hub, connect online OK? Tablets, phones, laptops?

3: Have you proven/swapped the hub ethernet port & cable as working OK with other devices?

Hi I was pursuaded to upgrade as my contract was about to end.  The only hardware change has been the new router and that seems to have installed no problem.  I have reset all my existing wifi tablets etc for the new SSID.  I just wonder if rebooting the V6 box has pushed it over the edge - maybe a component drifted or failed when I powered it down.  I'm fairly convinced it's the V6 box.  I was just checking with the forum knowledge base before I made a **bleep** of myself.

Thanks

All my ethernet connected devices work - main pc, laptop and NAS drive etc

Apologies for the inappropriate word

Hi. Thanks for your help and support. As expected the Tivo box was replaced this morning.

Thanks again