cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update EPG without Virgin Broadband

lukejdarling
Joining in

Hi,

After the recent price changes and instability of my connection I decided to leave virgin broadband and join community fibre. It worked out cheaper and much greater speeds. However I had a tv package with my deal and decided to keep this. When I was on the phone to retentions, I clearly asked if my virgin tv would remain working with an alternate broadband and they said yes. Now fast forward a month or so, my Tivo v6 box doesn't have any info on it, has no TV guide (epg?)and I cannot connect to my new broadband. Is there anything that I can do, i.e. connect using my new broadband, or upload epg updates via usb? Or was I simply lied to and stuck with a tv box I cant really use?

6 REPLIES 6

LittleMick73
Superstar
Hi I'm afraid you were misinformed you must have virgin broadband to support these things on virgins boxes. Regards Micky

deans6571
Wise owl

@lukejdarling wrote:

Hi,

After the recent price changes and instability of my connection I decided to leave virgin broadband and join community fibre. It worked out cheaper and much greater speeds. However I had a tv package with my deal and decided to keep this. When I was on the phone to retentions, I clearly asked if my virgin tv would remain working with an alternate broadband and they said yes. Now fast forward a month or so, my Tivo v6 box doesn't have any info on it, has no TV guide (epg?)and I cannot connect to my new broadband. Is there anything that I can do, i.e. connect using my new broadband, or upload epg updates via usb? Or was I simply lied to and stuck with a tv box I cant really use?

I'm pretty sure that when you have VM, a single cable comes into the home from the street. This is then split to carry your tv channels and also your internet. If your internet has been disconnected and you're now with a different provider, I would imagine that the cable coming into your house is now not 'live' anymore so is now not carrying anything, hence why you have  no EPG (which requires VM internet).

You could probably keep your current provider but I think you'd also need to re-instate VM's internet to get your box to work again.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A V6 MUST have Virgin Media broadband for full function, including updating the Guide.

The error here is that Virgin Media should have sent out an old TiVo to replace the V6 when the Virgin Media broadband was cancelled.

The OP will either need to phone in to resolve this or wait until Virgin Media staff reach this thread.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Ernie_C wrote:

A V6 MUST have Virgin Media broadband for full function, including updating the Guide.

The error here is that Virgin Media should have sent out an old TiVo to replace the V6 when the Virgin Media broadband was cancelled.

The OP will either need to phone in to resolve this or wait until Virgin Media staff reach this thread.

And just to add - be prepared for the replacement TiVo to be a shock in terms of speed. It runs the same software as your V6 but is much older hardware.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi lukejdarling,

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. Firstly we would like to apologise for the misinformation regarding the V6 box your decoded to keep with us. Unfortunately, as our valued members have stated you will need to have a Virgin Media broadband connection for your V6 box to update and have the EPG bar visible.

We are sorry you were not informed of this when you transferred to another internet provider. This will be fed back as an internal training issue.

With regards to getting your box swapped over for a TIVO box, this is something we would have to arrange for you.

So we can get this is motion, I will pop you over a private message and get this arranged.

Please click on the purple envelope to accept the chat. 

Kind regards Jodi. 

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good morning lukejdarling,

Just a quick note to advise you we have now ordered a Tivo box to be sent out to you via qucikstart. We are sorry once again for any inconvenience caused due to this.

Please let us know how you get on once you have installed the new box.

If you have any further issues, please come back to us through this channel.

Kind regards Jodi.