cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultimate oomph...

Cawsie
Up to speed

Hi.

Thinking of upgrading to this package when my minimum term ends.

i believe an engineer comes out to run coax for the minibox. I would need the main v6 box moved downstairs to my living room at the same time also perhaps fit a second minibox in another room.Would all this be done as part of the job?

Thanks

ps is a second minibox charged at £12 a month?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Cawsie,

Regarding additional boxes. 

Existing customers adding TV: £30 network installation fee where QuickStart is unavailable. £10 monthly recurring service extension fee for the first box plus £5 monthly recurring service extension fee for any additional box.

So if you don't have any additional boxes already it will be an extra £10 a month. If you add a third box then the third one will cost an additional £5 per month.

You don't say which package you are on, but it might be worthwhile looking at the Ultimate Oomph bundle and negotiate a price for that - it includes a second box for free.

I had two V6 boxes which I regraded to 360's and I'm happy with them, however your mileage may vary so have a look at the 360 Help Page 

It describes the main differences compared to the V6 and how to operate the 360.

I would suggest if you want extra boxes then get the V6's so you have the hard drive storage on each box before thinking of switching to the 360 and only having one box with storage.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Cawsie- I've moved your post to the TV boards...

There's a couple of things here.

Firstly, all VM TV boxes need 2 connections. 1: The co-ax cable for live TV, and 2: The internet (via your homehub) for OnDemand & streaming.

Whilst the home-hub connection can be wired (always better given the choice) or wireless, the co-ax is non-negotiable and if you don't have this where you need it - then this will require a manned engineer installation.

Second.. you've mentioned a mini-box. If you're currently using a V6, then all additional multiroom boxes are fully functional V6 with hard drives, there's no concept of miniboxes. New TV customers don't get a choice and are given 360 as a matter of course, the multiroom solution here is an HDD-less mini-box. As an existing customer, a conversion to 360 is completely voluntary, and if you want to remain on TiVo/V6, you can. Any change of equipment is entirely separate from any package change.

Personally - the fact that a multiroom box on TiVo-platform has a hard drive, but 360 doesn't - is reason alone to remain on the TiVo/V6 platform at least for now. If, once you've had multiroom installed, you decide to migrate to 360, then you can do so via a software drop separately from the package change.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ok Japitts

so the moving of the v6 box should be done as part of the upgrade?

thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Installation of the additional box will be either engineer-manned or self-serve QuickStart and can be arranged as part of the package change.

Whether that additional box is another V6, or a mini-box alongside a conversion of your existing V6 > 360, is entirely your choice.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Ok thanks.

i understand about the additional new boxes but what about my existing v6 box. Will they move it for me as part of the job?

cheers

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ah I see. You're moving your existing box in addition to adding extra ones.

Yes, perhaps worth mentioning during the same call but it can be done during the same install visit.

👍

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Cawsie,

Regarding additional boxes. 

Existing customers adding TV: £30 network installation fee where QuickStart is unavailable. £10 monthly recurring service extension fee for the first box plus £5 monthly recurring service extension fee for any additional box.

So if you don't have any additional boxes already it will be an extra £10 a month. If you add a third box then the third one will cost an additional £5 per month.

You don't say which package you are on, but it might be worthwhile looking at the Ultimate Oomph bundle and negotiate a price for that - it includes a second box for free.

I had two V6 boxes which I regraded to 360's and I'm happy with them, however your mileage may vary so have a look at the 360 Help Page 

It describes the main differences compared to the V6 and how to operate the 360.

I would suggest if you want extra boxes then get the V6's so you have the hard drive storage on each box before thinking of switching to the 360 and only having one box with storage.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I don't know if this still applies but VM was keen for customers to upgrade to Ultimate Oomph, so offered the first mini box for free to customers signing up to that package (which meant that the V6 was converted to Horizon 4).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@newapollo wrote:

have a look at the 360 Help Page 

Although in true marketing style, it's not very forthcoming on some of the shortcomings. I don't expect it to be, but is worth mentioning.