cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UKTV Play - how to get ?

UnHappyBunny999
Up to speed

Looking to stream "Alan davies as yet untitled" from Dave. Free to air via UKTV play, but can't seem to access it via the Virgin box.

Is this the nudge I need to dump the VM and get a Chromecast ?

8 REPLIES 8

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

According to a search on my V6, S5 is due to broadcast from 29/11 onwards which makes it recordable.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @UnHappyBunny999 

Unfortunately it isn't available via Catch Up or On Demand but the series is available via the UKTV Play app on the 360 and Stream boxes.

Sadly it isn't available on the older Tivo and V6 boxes. I'm afraid you will need to either watch live or record the program on the Tivo and V6 boxes.

Maybe a good time to look into changing your VM set top box box to the 360 so you can receive the latest apps.

The current list of apps on the 360 is:-  Al Jazeera, All 4, BBC iPlayer, BBC Sounds, Britbox, Deutsche Welle, Disney Plus, France 24, ITV Hub*, My5, Netflix, Prime Video, Radio Line, STV Player, TV Channel Upgrades, UK TV Play, VEVO, VM Store, WSJ, You Tube and You Tube Kids

*ITV Hub will shortly become ITVX which will include free access to Britbox if you take the paid version of ITVX.

ITVX won't be available on the older TIVO boxes, but will be on the V6, 360 and Stream boxes.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I had a suspicion the UKTV-branded app was on TV360 - in which case, that should be a factor if the app is important to you.

Be aware that TV360 & TiVo-software (which your V6 runs on) are fundamentally different, so this would be a bit like converting from Android to iOS because a particular app is iOS-only.

It may work for you. it may not - but do your research and decide how important particular features are.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Sounds like a reason to move away from Virgin. Sorry but £60/month and not getting something that's free via a Chromecast is the last straw.

But a big thanks to all who replied.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sounds like streaming & OnDemand is more important to you than the recording functionality of TiVo/V6.

You might want to look at VM's Stream platform - doesn't do recording at all, but does allow all the internet-based functions.

Being out of contract, I may as well take advantage rather than the other way round.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@UnHappyBunny999 wrote:

….not getting something that's free via a Chromecast is the last straw….

Third parties have to develop apps to run on Virgins boxes. If they decide they only want to develop apps for the latest boxes Virgin offers then only those on that platform will get it. Similar situation to Smart TVs. The older your set, the fewer apps are available.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993