Menu
ptopping
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

UHD won't play on second TIVO box

I have 2 TIVO boxes connected to wired Ethernet network. If I record a UHD programme on one box I can't watch it on the other. HD is fine. The message I get is...NOT Permitted. Due to policy set by the copyright holder, this recording cannot be played on this TIVO box.

There is no problem watching recordings on the box it was recorded on. This happens on both boxes.

This message appears even when I record The "WE'LL BE BACK message, when there is no broadcast playing on Channel 999.

Next to the ® symbol on the listing is a circle with diagonal line rather than triangle.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: UHD won't play on second TIVO box

UHD is not streamable between two boxes

0 Kudos
ptopping
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi jb66, thanks for your reply but why not?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@ptopping wrote:

Hi jb66, thanks for your reply but why not?

Because its not permitted due to the policy set by the copyright holders at a guess 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm under the impression that it's the channel provider who imposes the limit on viewable devices in their agreement with VM.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I imagine in this instance it's due to the fact that the bandwidth needed may cause issues with wireless v6 to wireless v6 setups.

It's probably cheaper to just disable that function to save having to support it

0 Kudos
ptopping
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone for your help. I can half understand why individual companies e.g. BT Sports won't allow the UHD streaming, but when I try Channel 999 (Virgins own) and record the "Holding message" that appears when nothing is broadcasting it still gives me the copyright message.

If the theory is correct that companies are restricting watching UHD on a second box (and I can't understand why), what is going to happen when hopefully everything is in UHD? There will be no point Virgin advertising the "watch recordings on second box feature.

Speaking of which, I have not found any mention in Virgin's blurb that says you can't watch recorded UHD programmes on the other box.

I have spoken to 2 VM telephone operators and had a Service Engineer around to the house and non of them can solve the problem.

Regards Peter

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

They cannot solve the problem as it's not supported.  Nobody can stream box to box from channel 999 as the moment.

0 Kudos