cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying a reset on the tv box and it keeps resetting

chrisredmayne
Joining in

Yhe picture on my box would keep flickering constantly so I thought I'd give it a try resetting the box to see if that fixed it!

But now it's just on a loop getting the welcome screen then starting up and then it just resets again!

Tried all the usual stuff like restarting the box and pulling the wires out and back in again. My router is always dodgy if you move the box too then it loses its connection but that looks okay at the moment.

Went through the help section and it said to get an technician out but I'd prefer not to as my tv cabinet is huge with the back hooked on to the wall, and no doubt he will want to check the connection of the white cable which is behind there!

Any suggestions ??

11 REPLIES 11

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

How did you reset your V6? Using the power button or one of the menus? And if the menu - can you be specific?

@chrisredmayne wrote:

But now it's just on a loop getting the welcome screen then starting up and then it just resets again!

If the V6 won't complete the boot cycle, it clearly has a fault which you need to report.

Either 150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - or wait around here (perhaps a couple of days) and a VM staffer should pick up

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I reset it from the.menu, the delete everything and reset option or something similar...

I have a feeling its trying to delete stuff and getting stuck, as it flicked up deleting data or something with the lights flashing before. 

Left it for an hour and it's finally reset! Probably worth phoning virgin at some point though my hardware seems really bad at the moment 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@chrisredmayne wrote:

I reset it from the.menu, the delete everything and reset option or something similar...

The "clear programme info and planned recordings" option? It's too late now but a simple "restart my TiVo box" (the first option under the reset menu) would have been plenty sufficient and avoided the risk of your box being bricked - which has happened in a few recent cases.

Or if you mean the "clear & delete everything" - you've effectively reformatted the hard drive... again, "restart my TiVo box" would have sufficed. What do you mean by "my hardware seems really bad" - might be able to get you some help on here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Just the router seems awful, just constantly dropping soffit all the time. The light will just go off and then I have to just wiggle the power cable and tye white cable for it to work again. Its ever since they gave me the new box so I don't think it's a connection problem it just feels like it goes off constantly. 

Hi chrisredmayne, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you've been having an issue with your services. 

I'm glad your V6 box has fully reset and is working for you now. 

I've done some checks this end and can see all stats on your hub are looking good. I can also see you've spoken to the team regarding things. 

How are things looking now? 

Pop back and let us know how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

@Kath_F wrote:

Hi chrisredmayne, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you've been having an issue with your services. 

I'm glad your V6 box has fully reset and is working for you now. 

I've done some checks this end and can see all stats on your hub are looking good. I can also see you've spoken to the team regarding things. 

How are things looking now? 

Pop back and let us know how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Hey, the tv seems fine now but last night the router kept resetting every 10 minutes. I phoned up yesterday but they just said to call back and they'll send an engineer out if it breaks again. I'm not around for the next few weeks so will ask my family to keep an eye on it and give a call back when I'm back if it is cutting off still. Sure it must be the router, I was upgraded a while back and the new one has been really temperamental,  usually if it goes off I just need to wiggle the power lead cable and the light just comes back on!

Hi chrisredmayne

Thanks for coming back to the thread, sorry to hear of the router issue, all looks good from here still. Has the disconnections continued since last posting?

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Just got back from holiday today and the Internet is still disconnecting constantly! Booked for someone to come out next Friday but I need the Internet to work from home next week so any help would be appreciated!

Hi chrisredmayne, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this. We're sorry to hear that even after holidays, the connection is still being intermittent. 

Taking a look at this end, I can see that the Hub stats are all looking good in terms of power and signal levels, there is nothing ongoing in the area affecting you and you've since cancelled the visit so I'm hoping this means things have stabilised for you. 

If not, and you're still having an issue, pop back and let us know so we can help further. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs