cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring settings from Tivo to V6

scurtis
On our wavelength

Hello,

I did manage to get upgraded from Tivo to V6 (contrary to one of my previous posts), but I'm having trouble transferring the settings from the old box to the V6.

The instructions give a webpage and say to select 'Manage my Tivo' - there is nothing like that on that page. Much searching this forum hasn't come up with a current page that works, either.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks,

Sue.

41 REPLIES 41

Certainly links don't remain for very long after deactivation, the feature was only ever intended for quick a one-shot backup when replacing or updating a Tivo/V6 box - but it definitely did work for a short time after our old box was decommissioned (I used it several times in the past). But it's something of a moot point now anyway, as the most useful bit (the copy function) has been fundamentally broken for a long time now, and Virgin clearly have no intention of doing anything about it beyond a few platitudes here. No one has even updated us on the status of the fault report (ref NKE00015482).

Andre

Yeah cant see them being interested now a days, there cant be many folks left with the original Samsung boxes anyway, I know the chap I called up couldnt believe I was still on one. 

Then again I'm still running one of the original TiVo's in a spare room on the ALT epg service and that box is more 20+yrs old now but is far more hackable than these VM boxes, just a shame its only got the one recording channel.

The feature was also really useful if your V6 box broke and needed replacing with another V6. Yes, you would lose any recordings on the HDD (luckily ours was at about 6%, and most of that still on the iPlayer anyway) but I have in the past used the feature to restore our Series Links successfully.

It was a huge pain a couple of weeks ago to lose an amassed 400+ pending Series Links, which was entirety and completely Virgin's fault for not having fixed a fault that was first reported and acknowledged by them over a year ago.

And of course it'll happen again when we finally get forced into accepting the 360 "update", which as far as I've been able to ascertain is a step backward in almost all respects apart from superficial design gloss.

Andre

As always these "improvements" are generally not an improvement at all and stuff I see now has been about for decades on the old TiVo system. 

Hopefully if they have put a video grade disk in the box it should do another 10yrs but pound to a penny its cheap nasty one, makes me wonder if I pull it and have a sniff about on it in Linux and see what its actually doing, mind you I doubt the wife will be happy with me messing about with the new box 🙄

<quote>
Hi all

Just an update that I'm looking into this further as it's been brought to my attention that this process does not seem to be working.

I'll update here again when I either have the new/correct process to perform this transfer or confirmation to whether this is something we no longer offer. Sorry for any miscommunication on my part here.

Carley - Forum Team
<quote>

Carley, is there any update on this as I have just had to have a TiVo replaced and this function still does not work...
Thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@tankstage wrote:
is there any update on this as I have just had to have a TiVo replaced and this function still does not work...

Start creating your series links again.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks John, I have tried that and I am told to check back in 30 minutes. We will see.

Hi TonyBBBM63,

Thank you for reaching back out, how are things now, did the advice off japitts work?

Regards

Paul.

@Paul_DN wrote:

Thank you for reaching back out, how are things now, did the advice off japitts work?

Given that the advice given by japitts was to give up on Virgin ever fixing this bug, and instead recreate all of the now-lost Series Links one-by-one on the new device, I wouldn't exactly call that a solution.

Customer: My rented car is still broken down two years after I reported it to the contracted service engineer, what should I do?
Garage Engineer: Did our advice to walk to your destination instead not work?

Andre

@andrewilley wrote:

@Paul_DN wrote:

Given that the advice given by japitts was to give up on Virgin ever fixing this bug, and instead recreate all of the now-lost Series Links one-by-one on the new device, I wouldn't exactly call that a solution.

Customer: My rented car is still broken down two years after I reported it to the contracted service engineer, what should I do?
Garage Engineer: Did our advice to walk to your destination instead not work?

Andre

I was going to say the same thing. The customer service on these forums is getting worse.