cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring settings from Tivo to V6

scurtis
On our wavelength

Hello,

I did manage to get upgraded from Tivo to V6 (contrary to one of my previous posts), but I'm having trouble transferring the settings from the old box to the V6.

The instructions give a webpage and say to select 'Manage my Tivo' - there is nothing like that on that page. Much searching this forum hasn't come up with a current page that works, either.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks,

Sue.

41 REPLIES 41

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ChrisB1 wrote:

Having just swapped over the boxes like an hour ago and gone through the process of copying the settings over like others have said I'm not convinced its doing it, yes the website confirms such but nothing so far has turned up on the new box.

You are correct to suspect it's not going to do anything - what you've described is exactly what I and many others have experienced, so is entirely expected behaviour.

I'm afraid you will need to prepare yourself for having lost all your series links, and start to recreate them from memory.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The copy function is completely broken, Virgin have known that it's been broken for ages (a fault report has been logged) but no one seems to care.

You can at least see all the old Series Links via the same web page, and make printouts or screenshots, but trying to re-enter stuff manually that isn't currently airing is a pain as you can't specify the desired channel.

Andre

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@andrewilley wrote:

trying to re-enter stuff manually that isn't currently airing is a pain as you can't specify the desired channel.

With TiVo-software on V6, there's no need to specify the desired channel. Just select "all channels" and then if you want to be channel-specific, you can do so when a programme is due to air.

One major advantage of TiVo-software is the ability to create SL's from OnDemand assets, rather than needing a programme to be in the broadcast schedule.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Looking at how it works it definitely seems like it needs both TiVo's to be connected at the same time before you do the copy, I did try a work around with a splitter and while I managed to get the old Samsung to boot up again I think because its been "deactivated" you cant read the data off it any longer on the web apart from on screen 🙄 and hence why the copy function doesn't work because if its not connected then it cant read the data.

So I set my Mrs's up with her laptop and she created a spreadsheet with just under the 200 season passes we have set off the screen, although some we can see we can cull off now as they were one off's. The really annoying bit I feel is the fact I doubt it will remember what we have watched so it will start at the beginning again when a new series starts 🙄

Ridiculous in todays modern always connected systems 

@ChrisB1 wrote:

Looking at how it works it definitely seems like it needs both TiVo's to be connected at the same time before you do the copy,

No, it doesn't. You can still see the Series Link list for a decommissioned (or broken) box online for a couple of weeks, before Virgin finally clears the content. That's the whole point of the feature, so when you have a new box fitted (either as an upgrade or to replace a dead unit) you can still retrieve the settings without the old box needing to be active. It used to work fine (I used it a couple of times) but has been broken for over a year now, but as I said Virgin couldn't care a jot about fixing it according to the messages in this thread.

Setting them again manually from a list works, but without being able to set the specific channel number you may find a repeat on Dave or some other random channel gets picked up rather than the BBC1 HD version that you wanted. Using the 'New', 'First Series Number', and HD-Only options do help though, but you may need to keep an eye on the Planned Recordings list once a week or so to correct the Links once a new episode appears.

Andre

It could be worse, you could have a 360 box, then you can only set up series links at all if the program has upcoming episodes on the channel you want to record it from! So you'd have to wait until the series restarts and just hope that you spot that it is returning!

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there Tavis75,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Can I ask regarding this, to clarify are you trying to set up a link with programmes that have no upcoming episodes?

Let us know,

Kain

@andrewilley wrote:

@ChrisB1 wrote:

Looking at how it works it definitely seems like it needs both TiVo's to be connected at the same time before you do the copy,

No, it doesn't. You can still see the Series Link list for a decommissioned (or broken) box online for a couple of weeks, before Virgin finally clears the content...............

Andre

Well my access died as soon as the new box was connected and all the series links vanished off the web interface and it just said it couldnt connect to the box, by reconnecting the box and un plugging the new box I could then see all the old series links, but as soon as you turned it off it just whinged it couldnt see the box any more and BORKED. I think this is where the system is now broken as it doesnt hold a off box copy any longer and always needs to communicate with the box and hence why the back off says everything is fine and is in the queue as its waiting for the old box to be on-line again.

@ChrisB1 wrote:

Well my access died as soon as the new box was connected and all the series links vanished off the web interface and it just said it couldnt connect to the box, by reconnecting the box and un plugging the new box I could then see all the old series links, but as soon as you turned it off it just whinged it couldnt see the box any more and BORKED. 

The saved lists may not show under the same box name as before (you might just see the internal ID number after the box has been decommissioned) but the data is definitely there to view for 1-2 weeks. I could see all the Series Links from my old box in which the HDD had died for example. The copy function to put them onto the new box is still broken of course (thanks for caring Virgin... not!) but I did take a PDF printout of the whole shows list after the old box went to HDD heaven, just in case I ever wanted to enter some of them manually.

For example, this list is for our second box, which is currently powered off (remember to use an Incognito window if you use a Chrome browser, as again Virgin's HTML coding is not the best): 

andrewilley_0-1662933350612.png

Andre

I wish that was the case but I only have the one box available unless I plug back in the de-activated box, then it shows up a de-activated.

Heres a screen grab of the boxes available to me as you can see its just the one 

The only place you can see the de-activated box is in the copy TiVo settings 

one box.JPGdeactivated.JPG

If you go to the series link box I only get the option to select the on line box and on other 

live.JPG

Maybe its to do with the de-activation status that kills it but this is exactly what I found as soon as I powered up and connected the new box, I did get it back if I repowered and connected the old box, but as I have a number of recordings I still need to watch on the old box I'm loathed power it off too many times in case it fails to boot due to its de-activated status.