Menu
Highlighted
venables
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 67
Flag for a moderator

Transferring recordings..

OK, so I know this has been discussed before but i think someone at VM needs to understand what we're getting told.

As far as I can tell, and I understand some of the reasons, transferring recordings from my old TiVo box can't be done when the self install V6 arrives tomorrow.  So I fired up the chat window to ask for multi-room to be added to my account, and the response was..

"but you can copy the recordings from the old TiVo Box to the V6 once it has arrived"

I questioned this, and the quote below is a copy/paste from the chat window..

"I am sorry  Kevin, we have a dedicated  team to transfer the  recording from old TiVo box to V6 box. Once you had received  the  V6 box, please contact our customer team, they will transfer your call to the  dedicated  team."

So.. is there a new team? Was my chain being tugged by Chandra?

As this was the account team, I then re-asked about getting a price for multiroom, but I was then told I couldnt add that until the new box arrived.. I guess that makes sense in some way, but not even a price?

So.. I will try to contact this new team tomorrow once the box is here, but somehow I expect I wont get too far...

Anyone at VM want to comment?

Kev

vircom
Super solver
Message 2 of 67
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Transferring recordings..

Unfortunately it will usually take about a week for the forum team to reply, which will be too late to help you. I suggest you call 150 in the morning and follow the menu to the Thinking of Leaving team who should be able to give you some sensible support. As far as I know, recordings cannot be transferred only links and settings etc. I kept my old Tivo for this very reason and it links to my new V6 so that I can play the recordings via the V6. Your old Tivo will be deactivated as soon as the new V6 is activated but if you disconnect it, you may be able to get it reactivated on your account as a second box.
0 Kudos
venables
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 67
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that.

My plan is to ring them as soon as the new box arrives and activates and then plug the old one into the spare connection in my home office..

I assumed from the outset recordings cant be transferred, and lots of forum notes confirm it - i just find it amusing that their level 1 support said it can be done and their is a special team to do it.. I'll post back what the call centre says Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
tonyworks
Superfast
Message 4 of 67
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Just connect and setup your new v6 box. Then when you want to watch an old recording, plug in the old tivo box via the HDMI cable, you will be able to access all "my shows" from the old Tivo from your TV. You will not be able to use the Tivo box for anything else except to watch your old recordings. Keep the old box till you have see them and then send it back when you have finished with it.

They don't seem to mind if it is a couple of months later to send back the old tivo. Its a lot less bother than trying to transfer them, just keep the old box plugged into a spare HDMI socket on your TV. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 67
Flag for a moderator

Once you activate a new box, unless you've chosen to keep the old one and pay the additional box fee, it will stop working - even for watching recordings on it.

If a TiVo box is being swapped, if it's not an active and paid for box once it's switched off it won't start up again.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
tonyworks
Superfast
Message 6 of 67
Flag for a moderator

Are you sure? I do not understand how they can stop the Tivo box from working. If I completely disconnect the Tivo from the virginmedia cable. I can still access my recordings, when it is disconnected Virgin cannot access the box to "turn it off". 

0 Kudos
venables
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 67
Flag for a moderator

apparently once I get the V6 setup and call the activation number I can be transferred to customer services and get the old box added as a multi-room.  Which is effectively what I want to do as I can use it in my office - there's already a second connection there so thats not a problem

0 Kudos
venables
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 67
Flag for a moderator

the key is apparently to call them once the new box is activated and they can re-activate the old box. Not 100% sure myself how it will be deactivated if the STB isnt connected to the network, but I want to use it as a multi-room anyway so thats OK.. and I'll pay the extra fee

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 67
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

tonyworks wrote:

Are you sure? I do not understand how they can stop the Tivo box from working. If I completely disconnect the Tivo from the virginmedia cable. I can still access my recordings, when it is disconnected Virgin cannot access the box to "turn it off". 

TiVo talks to Virgin Media on a regular basis to update itself with entitlements for settings including what channels you should have access to, EPG updates, and other settings. This includes the ability to play back recordings.

If it doesn't call back to Virgin Media, these entitlements expire and the functions that are authorised by the callback stop working. Once all the entitlements expire then no function of TiVo works.

So it's not so much as Virgin accessing the box to 'turn it off' and more Virgin Media updating the box to keep it working.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
venables
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 67
Flag for a moderator

Now that makes a lot more sense...

thanks

0 Kudos