Menu
Robert25312
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Transfer my shows & recordings from Tivo to V6

A 40-ft Ethernet cable is nothing to worry about as any good quality cat 5e or cat 6 cable up to 100 metres (285 feet) should be free of problems such as attenuation and crosstalk.

Now that is useful to know. Many thanks, Roger. 

0 Kudos
springer64
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Contrary to reports, you will NOT lose recordings on your TiVo box. We upgraded to a V6 at the end of January. Moved the TiVo box to another room, hooked up via HDMI to another TV - no network connection - and everything that was already on the hard drive is there available to watch. Can't access the guide, obviously, but even 6 weeks on, the recordings can still be accessed on the TiVo box.
0 Kudos
BlueGT
Joining in
Message 13 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that. Did you get the latest Hub 3 or did you already have that.
0 Kudos
springer64
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd
The box will only work for a short time after being disconnected from the coax network. These boxes are programmed to "phone home" at set intervals to check they are still authorised. If they can't complete this after a few attempts they go into "lockdown" mode.

Is this actually true? Our TiVo can still be accessed over 6 weeks on from disconnection from the network - we've got loads of stuff recorded on the hard drive that we want to keep or haven't watched yet. It's still functioning as a hard-drive - watched the BBC Bowie doc last night!

0 Kudos
rnewfie999
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Can we have a definitive answer to this please?!

I too, want to upgrade to a V6, but don't want to lose my hundreds of Tivo recordings.

How long after swapping are Tivo recordings available?

Is there any way of getting recordings off the Tivo and onto the V6 either directly or indirectly via another medium?

I am not going to upgrade if I have to lose 2 years worth of recordings!

Surely VM has a solution to this. Most people will have the same problem.

Tivo and V6 are both networked devices. There must be a way of transferring data from one box (hard drive) to another. What about uploading from the Tivo to a VM server for temporary storage and then downloading to the new V6 box? Or better still, utilising the ethernet ports to do a direct transfer between the 2 devices?

VM is a technology company, surely they can solve this.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 16 of 18
Flag for a moderator

The only guaranteed way to retain recordings on the TiVo is to retain the TiVo, as an additional box, at around £7.50 extra per month.

This is exactly what I did for the few months until I’d watch the backlog of recordings.

You don’t need a TV connected to the TiVo as you can watch the TiVo recordings on the TV connected to the V6.

You do need the TiVo both connected to the cable co-ax and your Superhub. I sited the TiVo next to my Superhub to effect the connection by direct Ethernet cable with the V6 sited elsewhere and connected by WiFi to the Superhub.

0 Kudos
rnewfie999
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response, but I must admit that this is very short-sighted by VM. They clearly haven't thought this through.

If I buy a new PC, I can migrate all of my data onto the new PC. If I upgrade the operating system, the migration process retains all of my data. If all else fails, I can put all of it on a server, or USB stick. I appreciate that the data (recordings) in this case are effectively owned by VM, because the Tivo is VM's property, but it is quite infantile of VM to not allow data to be easily migrated.

When the time comes, rather than upgrade to a V6 box, I may as well migrate to SKY, of which there are ways to get your recording off a SKY box.

I think VM are shooting themselves in the foot with this un-thought through upgrade.

Why should I have to pay £7.50 per month to get round a failing in the migration process.

There are some recordings which I may want to keep to watch in a year or twos time. I don't want to blitz watch everything and then delete them.

Are people made aware that as part of the upgrade, they lose everything they have ever recorded?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 18 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I suggest you do your research on Sky products before jumping. There are no facilities for data migration between Sky devices either, I believe.

The days of SCART and making poor, analogue copies are gone with current products.

0 Kudos