cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tivo box crashing, now no picture

Stevel52
Tuning in

Our main Tivo box started to shutdown for a second or so whilst watching live or recordings, and then immediately returns to the programme. I had put this down to the extremely hot weather that we had last month. However, the problem persists and after resetting several times, I now can get only audio but no picture. I have a second Tivo box in the bedroom that is little used, but it works perfectly, so it seems that the feed is okay.

All cables and connections checked and double checked. I estimate that the box is just over two years old.

Any advice please?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you report a faulty box he will have a replacement in his van.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Stevel52 

I would try a new HDMI cable and/or port.

Also swap the two boxes around to see if the issue follows the box. 

If the recalcitrant box has the same issues upstairs then it's a box issue.

If it works OK upstairs and the box swapped to downstairs can also only get audio but no picture then it looks like a signal/wiring issue.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

SpacePhoenix
Fibre optic

If the box is knackered, Virgin will replace it with a V6. They no longer issue any TiVo boxes anymore as the TiVo boxes have been discontinued. You'll need a VM broadband connection for the replacement V6 box if it turns out that the TiVo box is knackered

Thank you. Something is certainly not right as the box behaved itself for ar least a couple of hours yesterday. I will monitor the situation before I proceed to the next step.

Having been away for a couple of weeks, I'm afraid the situation is the same. It is so sporadic and unpredictable. Sometimes no picture, other times massive pixelation on only all Sky Sports channels and it still switches itself off and on momentarily, on both live and recorded programmes

The bedroom box is behaving itself. I have fast VM wi-fi.

Any suggestions as it is now as I would class unreliable.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The WiFi won't have anything to do with this - TiVo's don't have WiFi, and live TV doesn't use it.

A rebooting box is a faulty box, though.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you.

Not really looking forward to hours on the telephone to VM

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Stevel52,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your TiVo TV box!

Have you taken a look at our TV faults page to see if this can help with your ongoing issues? Please take a look and let us know how you get on. We're here to help if needed.

Thank you! 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Stevel52
Tuning in

Firstly I apologise for the delay in reply.

Secondly, I made an error in identifying the type of box that is causing me problems. I have a V6 box, not a Tivo as previously stated.

I have run the online diagnostic check, as suggested, and it shows no problems with the connections.

The annoying unpredictability of the fault, is such that I have videoed the fault on several occasions, if only to prove that it exists.

I ask; if I call out and engineer via the TV faults page, is he/she only concerned with connections problems (of which I have none), or would they be in a position to assist with the faulty box?

As previously stated my other box appears to work correctly, albeit I only use it occasionally.

Thank you in anticipation.

If you report a faulty box he will have a replacement in his van.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection