cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tivo box and network, open ports and bonjour services

Johanbrown
Tuning in

Having some serious issues for the third time in 11 months.

please can someone who knows answer why I have open ports when I do a network scan on the tivo box IP.

9CC832C0-2674-49FF-930B-8A92558A9C83.png

4A779960-9EF1-493F-8F8C-751ACCD999F3.png

 please can someone confirm what bonjour services are 

AA2D1FF6-7648-43BD-8F7B-292020E8C00E.png

2F069881-024D-498F-8169-6784C4D89FBB.png

 please confirm why I have a separate log in / web interface for my tivo box? 

96883F68-D803-4755-AA61-D432ABB35D24.png

internet search engine results either i do not understand or are horror stories which I can 100% relate to considering what has happened to my bank, phones, lap tops and sanity 

thanks 

20 REPLIES 20

V6 box linked to virgin hub 3.0 via Ethernet and it has been linked via WiFi in the past when for no reason Ethernet is not possible 

No secondary router

just the hub. 

sorry for confusion. I refer to the hub as my router. Just wanted to clarify / correct so I can receive some much needed help / clarity on my situation 

Thanks for your reply.

on Tuesday. When after speaking to virgin and performing a reset, when my iPhone connected to the internet it said connected but no internet. 

BFD18271-EE1A-418C-9229-7C50CDFF8963.png

 like you say usually it is a 192.168.0.xx ip 

not the case this time. 

seemed strange the ‘dotted loading wheel’ seemed to be very active too I turned the phone off in the end.

Any comments would be appreciated 

@Johanbrown wrote:

so….. back to my original questions, everything I read about open ports etc is not good. Why are they open? Only on the v6 hub IP address. 

You are scanning for open ports *inside* your network - open ports are totally normal, indeed a requirement, for the devices to communicate on the network.. an "application" listens on a port.. so for example, your v6 listens on 80/443 to provide that web service. when you connect to www.google.com, you're actually connecting to a google server on port 443.. what you don't want (unless you've explicitly configured it) is ports listening on the internet-facing address - for a home network, this would usually mean configuring the router to "forward" traffic on a particular port to an internal machine. There is another way that this can happen using an automatic configuration protocol called uPnP - this allows devices on your internal network to request that the router forward specific ports to it dynamically - it's (IMHO) a bit of a security hole - you can disable this on the hub. 

@Johanbrown wrote:

Don’t have a clue what bonjour services are. But the question was commented on my someone. Thanks. I have an iPhone connected to the hub. Would this cause the v6 box to have these apple related ‘bonjour services’ 

Bonjour (or compatible services) is used by many devices these days - it's a way for devices to be discovered on the LAN without the need for a dns server, so for example, your iPhone can find a device (e.g. your v6) by name on your LAN without necessarily knowing its IP address first. again, something very normal on the LAN.

@Johanbrown wrote:

why does my v6 box restart sometimes when my phone is connected to WiFi and someone calls 

Strange, it shouldn't do that - need more detail on this - could be a complete coincidence.. what has made you draw a correlation between these two events?

@Johanbrown wrote:

should there be an ability to login to the v6 box through its IP address?

Again, not sure on this one - never tried it myself and don't have a v6 anymore to test with, perhaps someone else can answer...

@Johanbrown wrote:

Why when I trace route the virgin up’s they show locations to all sorts of places globally and isp’s such as Liberty global, Verizon, at and t, 

what Virgin IP's are you tracing? If you trace to an internet IP address the traffic will take the "best" route it can to get there, which could well include traversing the networks of Verizon/AT&T/others.. Liberty Global is VM.. so your traffic will almost always pass through their network at some point..

@Johanbrown wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

on Tuesday. When after speaking to virgin and performing a reset, when my iPhone connected to the internet it said connected but no internet. 

 like you say usually it is a 192.168.0.xx ip 

not the case this time. 

seemed strange the ‘dotted loading wheel’ seemed to be very active too I turned the phone off in the end.

Any comments would be appreciated 

169.254 is an APIPA address that is used for automatic configuration when the device cannot reach a DHCP server - normal behaviour and nothing in and of itself to worry about - the fact that the device cannot reach a DHCP server (which is running on the hub) is annoying (and likely an issue with teh hub with it being a bargain bucket product) but isn't a particular concern in terms of security..

@Johanbrown wrote:

should there be an ability to login to the v6 box through its IP address?

I did this a few years ago as a matter of curiosity but it's pointless as there is nothing useful you can do once logged in.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@Johanbrown wrote:

why does my v6 box restart sometimes when my phone is connected to WiFi and someone calls 

As you have a problem both with an Ethernet cable and with WiFi I suggest you report this as a fault.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The only use I found in the past was typing http://192.168.0.18:49152/sysinfo  into my browser.

The IP address will differ depending on which is showing on the V6 (but should always start 192.168.0.xxx) then check the second line from the bottom it will either say

Streaming State: Ready or 
Streaming State: Precondition Failed

If it says Streaming State: Precondition Failed you will need a replacement V6

I can't check if it still shows that info now as I have a 360 and it doesn't work on that set top box.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Johanbrown wrote:

It shouldn't.

I don't see any reason that the "box restarting" and "my phone is using WiFi" should be linked, and I strongly suspect they're completely unrelated. But in any case, a V6 - or indeed any VM TV box - that's restarting anything more than occasionally and overnight, has a fault.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It has happened more than 5 but less than 10 times. 

happy viewing, tv, you tube, Netflix, so tv and apps. phone starts ringing, generally when I answer it box will reset. 

once, yes odd, twice maybe, but 5+ times. There is a link between the 2. 

I have WiFi call setting on phone turned off generally but sometimes I find it is back on. Cannot confirm if WiFi call mode was on when the issue happens.

Thanks for the comments about ports, and that some need to be open. Can you comment on the screen shot I posted originally. 
due to my lack of knowledge I did some digging relating to these ports. All I could gather in my searches is that they are exploitable. Hence my question are they open on everyone’s v6 box. 

thanks for replying I do appreciate it. My mind is getting put at ease, little by little