Menu
Philip986pies
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Tivo V6 with HDMI splitter to Sonos Beam

I have just purchased a Sonos Beam soundbar, and am having trouble getting the audio feed set-up. I have discovered that my Panasonic TV does not output Dolby audio from its HDMI ARC port, so I must get that audio directly from the audio optical out on the V6.  I also have an Amazon firestick going into the TV's HDMI 3 port, so I want that sound into the soundbar as well.  I bought a Kinovo 501BN HDMI splitter to take these two audio feeds and output to the soundbar.  Now here's the rub - the splitter does not recognise the TV's HDMI 2 ARC output, nor the V6's digital audio out.  I have tested the splitter and it passes through the main AV feed from the V6 to the TV.  It's as if the feed requires video in order to be detected.  I'd be grateful for any thoughts on this.

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo V6 with HDMI splitter to Sonos Beam

Hi Does the TV have a digital optical port, if so try plugging to it the sound just takes a different route.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You've bought a switch, not a splitter. That's designed for multiple inputs to one output.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You need an AVR not a soundbar. The Sonos's HDMI input is for audio from the TV's HDMI ARC port, so that doesn't help you. What you can do is connect the Sonos to the V6 with a TOSLINK cable for audio and the TV to the V6 with an HDMI cable for video. The Fire TV Stick will have to stay where it is until you get an AVR for surround sound.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Philip986pies
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Micky,

Yes, the TV has an optical out - but it also downgrades Dolby audio to standard digital, just as it does for the HDMI 2 ARC output.  I may have to settle for that.

0 Kudos
Philip986pies
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your reply.  You say an AVR because it would have several HDMI inputs itself?

Cheers, Philip

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Indeed, my Onkyo TX-NR509 has four HDMI inputs which looked sufficient several years ago and are now barely adequate. The good news is that your Fire TV Stick should work well when plugged into an AVR, at least my Stick and a Roku both work without a hitch.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Philip986pies
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just to finish this one off, in case anyone else wants to solve the problem I had.  I have discovered that you can buy HDMI switches that have an audio extract feature, with an optical out (a TOSlink).  The audio can then be routed to any sound system, like my Sonos Beam.  It also extracts it at the same quality as the input feed.  Problem solved.

0 Kudos