cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tivo Network Password problem

juliebobs
Tuning in

I am trying to re-start my Tivo V6 Box, that I always access via wi-fi. I have tried to reset the Network access but it keeps saying my Network Password cannot be verified. My password has always stayed the same as that provided with the hub about 3 years ago and is working on my phone.

I would be very grateful for any help please - bearing in mind that I'm not very technically minded!

63 REPLIES 63

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @juliebobs,

I'm really sorry for the continued issues with your V6. Are you able to confirm at all the time which this issue generally occurs on the weekend?

This would help us run some tests at a suitable time.

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Molly.   I think that the issue has arisen at around 9 pm on the previous 2 Saturday evenings, 24th & 17th July (although I don't notice until I switch on TV so it may occur earlier).

If you are able to run diagnostics this coming Saturday evening that could prove useful.  Is it the case that you can run diagnostics even when I have lost internet connection to V6 here?

I always check my phone wi-fi connection when V6 loses wi-fi/internet connection, and it always says that my phone's wi-fi signal strength is 'strong'.  I can also use the internet wi-fi connection on my tablet.  My issue seems to be with V6 losing the wi-fi connection and reporting that 'my network cable is unplugged' even though I have never used a cable.  (This message has always displayed when I have occasionally lost internet connection over the 3 years I have had the V6.)  Last Saturday (24th July) for the first time, when I went through the network settings, selecting wi-fi connection, It struggled to find my network, with around 8 other networks popping up quickly. I needed repeated attempts, rebooting hub & V6 in-between, for V6 to find and connect to my network.  I also get messages that my account is invalid when I am trying to connect to my network when it has been found.  Once the wi-fi connection was established on V6, it then struggled to connect to VM services.  I also re-started the V6 box from the 'home' menu, but I have found in the past that this rarely helps.

It is so frustrating that when I am having problems I can't speak to anyone at Virgin media.  Once I have a connection I am asked on here repeatedly - did I try this or that, what error messages have I seen - but I can't possibly remember when things are working fine!  Japitts has explained how to check my connection within 'Network settings'  but I do know how to do that.  It is only by using the Network settings pages that I can get the V6 to connect to wi-fi and VM services.  I can always see from 'My Shows & Recordings' page when I get the error message that there is no internet connection.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@juliebobs wrote:

If you are able to run diagnostics this coming Saturday evening that could prove useful.  Is it the case that you can run diagnostics even when I have lost internet connection to V6 here?

You need to have the "Connected low power" option enabled in your V6 power-saving options. Having your box set to "Eco low power" disables remote access.

Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Devices > Power saving

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @juliebobs,

Does the issue only seem to occur at this same time and only on the Saturday too? If so, is there anything else being used within the home at the same time that may be causing some kind of intereferance?

Can you also confirm if an error message appears on the screen at all? If it does, can you provide a photo of that error message if the issue returns, please?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Zack. Without wishing to appear rude, please could you read through this thread before commenting. It is so frustrating and unhelpful when different forum members keep interjecting with the same questions. A member of the forum team (Molly, I think) has agreed to run tests at around 9pm this coming Saturday.

No, nothing else is used in the home at the times mentioned AND, as stated previously, wi-fi connection to other devices is fine.

I get more error messages than you can 'shake a stick at' during repeated reboots of both hub & V6 in order to re-establish a connection and I can't see the point of repeating them now as I have reported some in earlier post (including but not limited to C230, C233, N27). The feedback I get from Virgin team is that everything is fine when tested & I guess it's difficult to fix something that is working okay.

Hi @juliebobs,

I'm sorry to hear that you feel this way. I'm afraid that the forum team don't operate at 9pm on a Saturday, which is why I asked you the additional questions to get a better idea of the situation at hand and what appropriate next steps to take.

Those three error codes that you've mentioned all pertain to an issue with the box's connection to the internet. If all other devices aside from the box work without any issue at all during the time that the box displays a fault then it's possible that the fault is isolated to the box itself, though it's strange that it's only occurring at one specific time on one specific day every week.

If you haven't done so already then I would advise performing a factory reset of the router if the issue reoccurs this Saturday. This will reset the network connection, just in case for some reason the router isn't accepting the device.

If that doesn't help then I would then attempt performing a factory reset of the TV box, though please be aware that this may delete all of your stored recordings.

If after performing the above the issue continues, please let us know and we can go from there. At that point we may have to look at arranging a technician visit and/or providing replacement equipment.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Zack

I'm confused as to why Molly, in a previous post, asked me at what time on Saturday this is happening so that connection can be checked at your end. What's the point if your team aren't working?

As stated, the connection could be failing before 9pm, but I wouldn't be aware as I only turn TV on at around this time. If you're working at all on a Saturday, can someone check late afternoon? (I know I've received message from your team on Sundays?)

Not sure if you can check anything from your end when no signal at hub on my end?

Previous message on here from someone in your team reported they had identified short term connectivity issues. I have yet to find out whether this was a fault that was dealt with, or whether it was simply a description of the issues I've been having.

I can't see how restoring factory settings on either the hub or the V6 will help when things are fine during the week and it is only on 2 Saturday evenings and last Sunday morning that I have experienced problems. 

Thanks for your post @juliebobs

I think over the course of this thread, and another thread, we've gotten a little confused with exactly what the issue currently is on the set top box, with the added fact that half a dozen posters from our Forum Team have been involved at some point too - the term "Too many cooks spoil the broth", springs to mind.

Apologies if we go over old ground here, but I think it's best we try and nailed down as much as we can in terms of understanding and basic troubleshooting to one post.

As I understand it, you're currently having issue with the broadband reliant services on the V6 box, and this was originally highlighted with Netflix - it would be helpful to know if there are any streaming services you are able to use currently.

Is there any possibility you can connect the router to the set top box via an Ethernet cable to see if a connection can be established?

If this is not possible, can you please advise me if you've been able to perform a pin hole reset on the router for me to see if this then automatically connects to the set top box?

If the pin hole reset does not resolve the connection issue, and if you've not reset the box previously, as per the suggestion from @japitts, can you please try this, with the guidance below;

If you want to restart your V6, you can do so by pressing (on your remote control) Home > Help & Settings > Clear or restart, and following the on-screen prompts.

Looking into the status of the Hub, it appears that everything is currently within spec. I would be interested to know if the Wi-Fi connection issues are restricted to the set top box, or if other devices are also effected?

It does appear that we may be experiencing an issue with Wi-Fi devices, and this is also something @japitts referred to. Do you have any devices (aside from the set top box) that are located close to the hub that could be connected via an Ethernet cable?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi David. I agree, there are too many people from your team popping in and promptly back out again, all asking the same questions and repeating the same suggestions ad infinitum  - and I'm losing the will to live.

I have answered all of your questions repeatedly over the course of this thread. The issue with Netflix was posted back in March, and is not really relevant to current issues. I think someone merged my recent post with the other earlier in the year - or it may have been 2020.

I have repeatedly asked about the post (I think from Molly) where she reported that 'short term connectivity issues had been identified' - but no-one will answer. Is this a specific fault that has been addressed OR is it merely a description of the issues I've been having. I have been asked numerous questions by numerous people but it would be great if my question could be answered. 

Also, if I lose connection is it the case that no-one can perform any diagnostics at your end?

When I the V6 loses internet connection I will try to restart it - using method from link posted in this thread several times, (but which I knew how to do in the first place.) As explained, this rarely works, I usually find I have to reboot both the box and the hub.

I have a connection at the moment, and as reported I'm waiting to see if I lose it again this eve for the 3rd Sat in a row so I don't want to start using a cable at the moment.

Not only have I lost connection at these specific times but it has struggled to find my network, then to connect to my network & then to connect to VM Services.  I think it was jdoc who posted thread on here about problems connecting V6 to wi-fi on Friday nights. Like me, he reported that he would rather not use a cable and was hoping that he could get an answer as to why he was experiencing problems at the same time each week.

I will wait with baited breath to see if anyone can answer the 2 questions I posed near top of this post.....and resolve not to go down this wormhole engaging with an endless number of people from the forum team repeatedly answering the same questions!!!

Reply 2 to David

Apologies for earlier rant, your post caught me at a bad time 😞

My services are working currently, but have had issues on Sat and Fri eves.

1) Other devices using wi-fi work fine when V6 loses internet wi-fi connection

2) I am not sure if I can get any streaming services, eg on demand, when connection is lost. I will try next time if it happens. I assume I can't because I see a message on 'my shows & recordings' page saying: 'Internet connection is lost' & when I select 'more information' it says 'cable unplugged' , (even tho' I've never used a cable).

3) I always manage to reestablish wi-fi connection eventually, usually by rebooting hub & box ie switching off power, then back on. I've found it necessary to leave off for at least 10 mins to be successful. However, last Sat my network was not coming up without a another reboot. Once a good wi-fi connection was there (100%) it took a few attempts to connect to VM services.

Is a pinhole reboot of the hub likely to resolve issues over and above the reboot that I do - switching off and on again? If so, I'll try that if I lose connection again. Tho' I'm not very techy, and would rather not have to redo wi fi connection on other devices unless this is likely to resolve the issues with V6.

I'm not sure why you suggest connecting other devices to the hub with a cable since other devices' wi fi connection remains stable when it is lost on V6?

Best, Julie