cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TiVo network connection fail

Tinkred5780
Tuning in

My box has not connected for at least 8 weeks, I have completed all online fault guides and contacted UK, India, Philippines several time snow the latest is they are sending boosters when the the box is only 15cm from the router. The error code is always C133 and no matter what I do or speak to they will not send a engineer even though it was fitted by an engineer. I have had very poor customer service response and will be leaving at the end of my contract in 2 months as I am confident that they will not resolve the issue before then, if I had hair I am sure it would of all been pulled out by now

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So your V6 can connect to your homehub by either Ethernet or WiFi. If there's only a 15cm gap, I would strongly recommend an Ethernet cable is used.

That aside, if you follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, the status of your connection is shown in the top-right. If you're on WiFi, the signal strength is shown. If you're on Ethernet, it'll just give the IP address. If you're on neither, you'll be prompted to make a connection.

What do you see?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The TiVo box has an inbuilt internet connection which is entirely separate from your home broadband, so the proximity to your home router is immaterial so far as internet connectivity goes.

On the front-left of your TiVo, there's a series of green lights. Second from left has a painted heart symbol next to it, and is the status light for the onboard modem.

Is this flashing or on solidly? Incase you're not seeing green lights, you might not have a TiVo but a V6 - check here if you're not sure.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi, no it’s a V6 not a TiVo. No lights on the left front, not sure what to do now, anymore advice would be great thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So your V6 can connect to your homehub by either Ethernet or WiFi. If there's only a 15cm gap, I would strongly recommend an Ethernet cable is used.

That aside, if you follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, the status of your connection is shown in the top-right. If you're on WiFi, the signal strength is shown. If you're on Ethernet, it'll just give the IP address. If you're on neither, you'll be prompted to make a connection.

What do you see?

Hi, it shows an IP address, but still fails when connecting after negotiating 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is it connected using Ethernet or WiFi?

If Ethernet - please try reseating the cable.

Have you tried restarting your V6 via Home > Help & Settings > Clear or restart?

Hi it is Ethernet and have tried all those suggestions, I have now put it on WiFi and it has resolved the issue and now is loading currently at 3% so I think it’s the hub as all my other Ethernet connections are US

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Remove the ethernet cable from the V6 and see if you can connect by wifi. If it connects that's brilliant, it shows both pieces of equipment are working

Have you tried a different ethernet cable or hub port?  Sometimes one of the ports may be faulty

If none of the above work then you should also try a factory reset of the hub,  I realise you've probably rebooted it before, and most likely performed a factory reset, but the factory reset needs doing the following way.

Keep the hub switched on and disconnect any ethernet connections, then push the reset button firmly with a paperclip or something similair. keep it pressed in for around a minute.

Wait around 10 minutes and it should revert to factory settings. You can now reconnect the ethernet cables.

If you previously changed your router password it won't work and you will have to use the one printed on the sticker on the router. You can always change it again by going into the settings

Once you've performed the full hub factory reset connect the ethernet cable between the hub and the V6 and go into the V6 settings and make a new network connection

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Tinkred5780 wrote:

Hi it is Ethernet and have tried all those suggestions, I have now put it on WiFi and it has resolved the issue and now is loading currently at 3% so I think it’s the hub as all my other Ethernet connections are US

Having it connected is the main thing. Have you proven the Ethernet port on your router as working, by connecting something else to it? The same theory, using the Ethernet cable with another device?

I don't think you're at the stage of needing to start resetting your router just yet, but it's certainly worth proving the cable & port.

Are you using the SH in modem mode with your own router?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A quick way to test the ports on the hub, with a known working ethernet cable is to place both ends of the cable into the ports, they should both light up. If only one lights up, leave that one connected and try the other ports.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali