cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV showing only static.

KibbleWibble
Joining in

I got up this morning to nothing but static on the TV. No sound. Virgin have stated that "due to the technical nature of the issue" I should post here, so here I am.

Cables all checked. Virgin on the Go also only giving me a black screen. Turned off and on several times, including disconnecting the cables. TV working fine for other inputs (PlayStation, Rakuten, smart features, streaming non-virgin videos from phone wirelessly). I did the online tests and apparently no issues in my area. Broadband also no issues.

I'm at a loss on what more to try or what the issue could be. Can anyone assist?

11 REPLIES 11

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

TV Go & your STB are most likely different issues, so let's park that for a moment.

A VM box that's got a dodgy video output normally just results in a "no signal" output or corrupted picture - do you have access to the TiVo/V6 menu system, TV Guide at all? Are you able to post a picture of your "picture", it may help.

Have you tried rebooting your V6 with a known good HDMI lead (from a different source) connected to a known good HDMI port?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

received_600983190857894.jpeg

 It's literally white static. I can't get to any Virgin menus or settings at all.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try taking a known good HDMI lead (from another unit) and using a known good HDMI port on your TV - disconnecting another unit if necessary - and connect your V6 to your TV using this.

Power the V6 off the mains, switch the TV on, power the V6 on. Do you get the "Welcome", "Starting up" sequence?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The picture looks like the screen you see when tuning into the old aerial before digital TV.

Are you sure you have selected the correct source ie HDMI1, 2, 3 etc?

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi looks like the wrong input setting. Regards Micky

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Agreed re the input setting - if your TV is already switched on when you reboot your V6, some models auto-switch to the V6 input (all TV dependent) - partly my reasoning for suggesting that.

Of course, you may need to manually change the input.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @KibbleWibble,

Welcome to our Community Forum! Thank you so much for your first post. We really appreciate it.

We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue!

From what I can see on your account, there are no issues with your V6 set top box. 

Would you be able to check your TV source, as previous community members suggested?

Please let us know if this works, or if you need any further support.

Thanks,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Muzio
Joining in

Hey, 

I had the same thing a few times and sometimes it fixed itself after leaving it for a while. However, I pulled out the HDMI cable out from the telly, whilst it was on the static picture then plugged it back in. 

Mine is working fine now! might be worth giving it ago if you have not yet fixed it! 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Muzio wrote:

Mine is working fine now! might be worth giving it ago if you have not yet fixed it!

@Muzio 

A well-intended response I'm sure, but this thread was last updated over a year ago...