cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV and Broadband issue

mumblesh
On our wavelength

Ok There has been issues with the TV and some pixelation. Nothing new here as it comes and goes. But what's been weird is that the pixelation has coincided with some networking issues.

Long story short, when my router cuts out, which it has been doing with some alarming frequency of late, I also get major pixelation for several minutes on my TV. Now either that's an odd coincidence or something is awry. Usually this is noticeable in the evening.

Now I'm coming here regarding the TV because I want to know if there is any issue in my area with others, nothing seems to be according to the status page. I think I can state here that I'm in the  Luton area.

I find it strange if the two things are connected, but it genuinely seems so. Also, I might add I have already tried to fix the broadband issue via a phone call (done the reset etc), but it has been cutting out a lot for several minutes a time during several evenings, interrupting my stream viewing. What is odd is when my TV alerts me that its lost it's wired connection via a pop up message, my router starts blinking and suddenly the Tivo image goes nuts and I have simultaneous full screen pixelation.

So to summarise, the TV pixelation is a reoccurring issue, I've been getting this every now and then, small patches of pixelation popping up once in a while on terrestrial channels. The fact the net conks out with regularity is a different thing and a bit odd, it's never been this bad before, but to see the pixelation go crazy as it does is even odder.

Any help is appreciated. I'll be honest, I'm thinking of sacking my TV anyways, but I am starting with TV as I have tried broadband and want to know if the connection between the two things mean anything.

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It is not a coincidence. All Broadband & TV services on Virgin are delivered using radio frequencies via the coaxial cable. If there are signal issues or interference (noise) getting into your installation or on the local network it can & does affect both services.

The first thing to do is check for loose connections on the white coax. If everything is in good & tight then contact VM & go down the faults route. You are renting the equipment, so you are already paying for a repair service as part of you rental.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

mumblesh
On our wavelength

Thanks for that quick reply. Yeah I checked the cable yesterday because, well I'd run out of ideas. It seems OK, but it was worth looking at as it was becoming buried by things in my house!

The signal degrades steadily as it has done today during the football. It's fine for much of the day then suddenly the picture starts breaking up... Getting worse... And then.... Internet goes off - before recovering a short while later.

I'll have to give them a bell when I get a chance. I'll talk to the TV people this time.

Cheers for the advice. 

Hi mumblesh,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to see you have been facing issues with pixilation which is making you think of cancelling the TV part of things, I was able to find you on our system with the details we have for you and it looks like there are some issues, so I can help further and arrange a technician if required I will send you an invite into a private chat, once received click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

mumblesh
On our wavelength

Hello

I appreciate all the help, so thanks for that. I've been keeping an eye on it when I'm able, and so far things are seemingly better. I'll know more on the weekend when I'm home for longer.

As for cancelling, that was always on the cards, I've cancelled Netflix and now the TV is on my hitlist for the future, but things like this don't make me happier to keep paying. Times are tougher right now as you must be aware.

Still. Let's see how things go. I got through all the football yesterday and didn't notice any pixelation and my Internet was stable.

Regards

Mark 

Hey @mumblesh, thanks for reaching out to us on the forums page.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing with the service.
I'm glad to hear that recently the services have been stable.

If you could do me one favour please which will assist in monitoring this issue.
And that is to use a BQM graph, you can do so here and it will help us to see any spikes or dropouts with the connection.

Let us know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

mumblesh
On our wavelength

I don't know much about background monitor things. I looked at it and it says to change settings in the router, but I don't have them with the Hub 3.0, hopefully it will do something. I will check back on it in a few days. What I do know is that today my TV is unwatchable and my internet is going a bit nuts as well. Apparently there's an issue in my area. Yeah I know! There is a lot of them of late. Luckily the football can be watched via the Freesat... thanks to the council for that. I'll send anything from this BQM if it works.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The only setting you should need to change is one tickbox if your BQM is completely red. Whether this is the case, would become apparent within a few hours of setting the monitor up.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

mumblesh
On our wavelength

Hello people!

OK well I have looked at the BQM graph and it's not a surprise. Lots of big yellow spikes and every once in a while a red spike. This I've checked when I suddenly notice the Internet goes off and my router starts flashing green lights. It does this middle of day or late evening 

IMG-20221218-WA0006.jpg and coincides with the red spike.

I get these random drop outs regularly now and notice it a couple times a week. Usually my evenings.

I can't be the only person in the street getting this issue surely? I've never had so much issue like this before.

mumblesh
On our wavelength

The TV has terrible pixelation today. I watched the router as it happens and the router lights went completely red then off, before green light symbols finally came on and started blinking. It's been going on and off a couple times since. I don't know if it's worse or something else is going on I'm not aware of.

I'm messaging thanks to my mobile network.