cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV V6 box requesting ports be opened

Terryee
Joining in

I recently upgraded from a Hub 3 to Hub 4 - everything smooth, except several TV channels stopped working -

TV box is connected to the internet, but a port check tells me that the following ports need to be opened

TCP port 80

TCP port 8080

TCP port 80

TCP port 7287

TCP port 7288

TCP port 8081

As far as I am aware nothing in my network config changed other than the Virgin Hub,  - any ideas ?

4 REPLIES 4

Terryee
Joining in

to add - I called virgin, got to "2nd line" support,

I've been told

1) it is because I have a switch between my media box and the hub - plugging directly into the hub made no difference

2) because I should be connecting via WIFI - contrary to everything I've read and been told about that - surprisingly, made no difference

3) switched off the firewall on the Hub4 (don't worry - it's back on now) - no difference

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Terryee 

Ignore the port check - this often shows on fully working V6 boxes and can safely be ignored.

How have certain  TV channels stopped working?

Are they showing an error message, if so which one?

Are they showing  ablack screen, or pixelated?

Which channels are affected?

Is your V6 box connecting to the SSID on the new hub?

Was your TV package also changed when you upgraded the hub?

Have you tried rebooting the V6?

If channels are missing then using your remote control try the following :-

Help & Settings > Help > Virgin T> go up to the top of the screen then TV Care and press OK >  Missing Channels.? > Refresh my channels list

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'd also add that, if TV channels have stopped working, that's nothing to do with your router.

Live TV doesn't use the internet 

Further info here will help diagnose.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I don't like replying to my own posts, but I've now just read the second post in this thread so will add a couple of bits...

@Terryee wrote:

1) it is because I have a switch between my media box and the hub - plugging directly into the hub made no difference

2) because I should be connecting via WIFI - contrary to everything I've read and been told about that - surprisingly, made no difference

If, by 1, you mean you're using your hub in modem mode with your own router, then it's valid that this is eliminated, but... and I note you've not said what the actual problem is... this won't necessarily be affecting your service.

2: An Ethernet wired connection is always going to be preferable to a wireless one, although reliable WiFi should be ok.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks