cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TIVO Boxes V6 loose Internet Connection

Margret
Tuning in

Two of my Tivo V6 boxes keep dropping their wifi connection to the internet. The red wifi and the up and down arrow symbols light up. I go to network settings and it says No Internet Connection No Signal, No DNS, I then try reconnecting by selecting wifi and searching for my network, The Tivo boxes cannot see any networks. I reboot and the boxes reconnect.  The Tivos then work again complete with internet, Signal strength of 90 percent (excellent) sometimes for a couple of days or a few hours sometimes only a few minutes  before it again loses connection. I know it's not my internet/wifi as everything else on my network is still connected.  Super Hub 3 in modem mode, ASUS RT-AC86U Router.  Connecting these boxes via ethernet is not an option, I have no one to do it for me and I could not physically manage it. The only reason I had the 3rd party router was because the Super Hub 3 was such rubbish and Virgin Media Customer Services did not have a solution to my rubbish broadband issues.  1) TV connected via ethernet on 5g  (same room as the hub) 1) TV connected via wireless  on 5g (next room) 1) TV connected via wireless WAS 5g trying it NOW on 2.4 (seems more stable now, may be the answer, I don't know ???) (bedroom upstairs).   I like to watch "My Shows"  "Other Tivo Boxes"  Netflix and Amazon Prime which I need the Internet connection for.   Can anyone help me with a solution or explanation please ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When your V6's drop the net connection, are they showing connected in your Asus router?

On the face of it, if the wireless connection is dropping (and showing no available networks) but reliably reconnecting - with 90% strength - with a reboot, it sounds like the wireless is somehow going to sleep.

Does this happen after the box is, say, in standby? And if so, what's your power-saving set to? (Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Devices > Power)

Are your V6 using 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz wireless bands, and whichever is the answer, have you tried the other? Presumably the SSID are different.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

43 REPLIES 43

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When your V6's drop the net connection, are they showing connected in your Asus router?

On the face of it, if the wireless connection is dropping (and showing no available networks) but reliably reconnecting - with 90% strength - with a reboot, it sounds like the wireless is somehow going to sleep.

Does this happen after the box is, say, in standby? And if so, what's your power-saving set to? (Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Devices > Power)

Are your V6 using 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz wireless bands, and whichever is the answer, have you tried the other? Presumably the SSID are different.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Answers to your questions:

The answer to "are they showing as connected in your ASUS Router". Sorry I do not know.  I did not think to look when the problem was in real time (bit nervous about being in actual router BUT will go in if needed).

Power saving in devices "ticked always on" on both affected boxes

Initially BOTH on 5g network.  Bedroom V6 :  Put this on 2.4g a few days ago (approx 4 days).  Monitored it since ... No issues.   

Next Room V6:  Changed this to 2.4g this morning as this box was failing it's connection every few minutes since last night .... will monitor

Contract:  Virgin TV V6 Box.  Additional TV Box.  Maxit TV.  Phone.   M500 Fibre Broadband. (a lot of money per month  lol)

Happy you answered my query Japitts.  Seen you on here lots of times helping people with sound advice.

Forgot to answer your question " Does this happen after the box is in say, standby"
Answer: Both after box in standby AND whilst I in viewing mode, after a few minutes of even few hours.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Margret wrote:

Initially BOTH on 5g network.  Bedroom V6 :  Put this on 2.4g a few days ago (approx 4 days).  Monitored it since ... No issues.   

Next Room V6:  Changed this to 2.4g this morning as this box was failing it's connection every few minutes since last night .... will monitor

I'm minded to suggest you've found an underlying cause here.

It doesn't seem to explain the 90% signal strength, but all the same.

Fingers crossed.

I will continue to monitor both boxes.

FRUSTRATING though as it mystifies me as to why both v6 boxes have sat happily on the 5g network for a couple of years (maybe even longer) PRIOR to having the ASUS RT-86U installed a couple of weeks ago. 

A little knowledge can be dangerous (me) and that's why I am anxious about messing about with the settings in the ASUS.  I would love the confidence of understanding the technicalities of wifi etc but unfortunately that's not the case consequently thats why I need the help of people such as yourself all I can bring to the game is  gram of common sense.

Failing the issue with the V6 boxes I have to admit that the network as a whole (ALL other devices) seems so much more stable.  The Super Hub 3 was forever dropping packets, Internet was forever unavailable.  Alexa quote: "I am having trouble connecting to the Internet". LOL

I hope the VM "Intelligent Network" Roll Out scheduled for me on the 31st does not upset the apple cart again.  HOPING NOT as the Super Hub 3 is in MODEM mode.

Again many thanks for your help.

Good morning Margret 🙂

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your TV services looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you.

I understand you're having issues with your internet connection with your TV boxes, this is quite detrimental for you as you watch On Demand and Apps quite regularly. So you'll be happy to know that I've already taken the time to check your services on my side and can see some issues with your input levels on all three TV boxes. There are also some Pre/Post Error Counts on your TV box specs.

I have also checked your broadband levels and can see your downstream & upstream levels are out of spec as well. 

All of these issues will need an engineer to rectify, which I will book via a PM with you now 🙂

Thank you to @japitts for doing all of that troubleshooting for me, you helped me pin point the issue with the info you both gave!

Speak to you soon Margret.

Thanks,

Megan_L

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Margret

Thanks for joining us on PM. 

Just to confirm so the thread can be updated - the tech visit was booked in. It can also be tracked in your online account where the visit can be cancelled/altered etc.

Please let us know how the visit goes.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

John_GS,

Thank you for informing me of the pending engineer visit.  I was still waiting to hear confirmation from Megan, wondered what was happening.

I will definitely let you know how it goes.

By the way I think maybe the "intelligent wifi" rolled out in the early hours of this morning as everything on my network went haywire (noticed it at 4.30am when I asked Alex to put the landing light on). 

Echo Plus and my 3 Dots all lost connection to the Internet (so no light bulbs working) and Tivo's boxes greyed out on all TV's.

I unplugged SH3 (modem mode), ASUS Router and Amazon Devices.  Powered SH3 and ASUS back up then plugged devices back in and all came back. I was a little annoyed as I had clicked the "OPT OUT" button on the VM notification email. 

I only opted out because I had finally achieved some semblance of reliability with the Wifi/Internet.

Thank you again (fingers crossed for Saturday)

Margret

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you're using your hub in modem mode with your own router - which, by the way, I heartily recommend - then you should be opted-out of "intelligent WiFi" by default.