Menu
Highlighted
Diddymus01
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Switching tivo to v6

Currently I have a TiVo box as my main Virgin Media box downstairs and upstairs I have an old V HD box.

I have just received my V6 box as I have to replace the old HD box by end of July.

Now what I want to do, is put the V6 downstairs and then move the TiVo upstairs. When I unplug the TiVo and move it upstairs, will I lose any of the recorded programmes in the hard drive? I don't want to lose any of the stuff we have recorded.

Also, I be able to record on both boxes at the same time? Recording programmes upstairs and downstairs?

I think I already know the answer to this but can I watch the things on the TiVo box on the V6 box downstairs? Probably not I'm guessing.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Switching tivo to v6

Firstly - the V6 MUST be connected to your VM Hub. Cat6 ethernet cable is the best way to do that without relying on the vagaries of wifi - so do that if you can.
You can certainly record independently on both boxes.
To watch recordings from the old Tivo, on the V6 and vice versa, it too needs connecting to the Hub by ethernet cable as it has no wifi capabilities.
You can certainly just swap V6 boxes about - I am nor sure if it apples to the Tivo without having "signal adjustment" - I think it will be ok someone else should comment.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Diddymus01
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your quick reply.

I have the original Virgin Hub 2, will this all work on that or will I need to upgrade my router?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

SH2 will be fine - it just has to connect to the VM network (not BT, Sky, etc).

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The SH2 is fine unless you upgrade to M350 or higher.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection