cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden picture breakup and thousands of RS errors

asha_bristol
Up to speed

Hello,

Suddenly last night the TV picture started breaking up. I checked the diagnostics page and every tuner has tens of thousands of RS errors. They usually only have less than 100.

Nothing has changed in the set-up. All cables are tight and box has been reset but no change.

I've had a look at the router diagnostics and that shows lots more RS errors than I'm used to seeing too.

All of the power / snr stats are all within range and haven't changed since before these problems started. It just seems like the feed itself is corrupted.

Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi asha_bristol,

Have you looked at Check service status at the top of the page? You can also a run a test on your equipment from there.

If nothing is showing  you could also try the  Service Status number  0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of more local issues down to postcode level.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Yes, nothing showing on the service status page. The self test thing also show's no issues, but like I said all power / snr figures are still spot on.  I'll ring that number later if I get home from work in time.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Standard advice with any broadband fault is that pre-RS errors are - to an extent - normal. Post-RS errors are potentially an issue.

Pixellation on live TV is indicative of a signal fault and if one reboot has failed to clear symptoms, then check for local issues otherwise report it to VM who'll likely need to book a tech.

Many signal issues are caused by faults on the individual drop cable from the streetcab to your home, and consequently only affect you. Faults higher in the TX chain tend to be picked up by auto-monitoring.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I've always had a pre RS errors (less than 100 over a few hours of TV) but now that number is 13000 over the same time period. There are even some post RS errors being reported which I've never experienced before.

Likewise the router stats show errors accumulating at the same increased ratio as the TV.

Would it be worth leaving contacting them for a few days to see if it's an error further up the chain?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'd be inclined to reboot both the hub and the set top box to see if that clears the errors. If still there then check all cables especially the white coaxial are snug and tight. If no better contact faults

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@asha_bristol wrote:

Would it be worth leaving contacting them for a few days to see if it's an error further up the chain?

I'm with newapollo for the most part, but with an extra dimension. With any possible network fault, assume it's only affecting you and VM don't know about it. Until you report it, it's unlikely to get fixed.

Not always true, but if nothing's reported on the automated status line, it's usually a reliable method. Just taking the TV fault, if you have picture breakup and a reboot hasn't solved it, there's evidently a fault somewhere - and the sooner it's reported, the sooner it's likely to be dealt with.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes, perhaps I'll give them a call. I've reset everything but it's still the same. No RS Corrected errors tonight but still over 30000 RS Uncorrected. Picture has pixelated on and off, not as bad as last night but maybe it has something to do with the channel frequency as was watching a different channel tonight.

Just a bit odd as with other posts I've read on excessive RS errors they always seem to be caused by a power level or snr problem. All of my stats are well within spec (haven't changed at all from before these issues) so really puzzling.

Hi @asha_bristol,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

I am sorry to hear you are having some issues with the service. I have taken a look at the account and the set top box is showing as unreachable therefore we are unable to communicate with the equipment. 

I have also checked the router stats for you. I can see there's some issues with the power levels so I'll need to book a technician to get things sorted for you. 

Will pop you a PM now to confirm some details and get the visit arranged. 

Cheers

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for confirming your details via PM @asha_bristol,

I have booked the visit for the date you requested. You can find confirmation of this via your online account

Please do let us know how you get on 🙂

Hope you have a lovely weekend. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs