cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming between 2 tivo boxes (connecting them together)

bryansmithsnr
On our wavelength

Hi wonder if you can help.

I have a tivo/virgin box connected by network cable to my superhub 4.  

I have tp-link deco connected to the router and all wireless things in my house are connected to one of the other 3 Deco's dotted around the house.  The second Tivo box is in my office is one.

I get good speed etc in the office so no problems there. However, if I try to connect the boxes it always fails - As in I wish to watch something on the main tivo box that has been recorded in the office but it always fails.

I don't have enough network knowledge to resolve this - HELP

I guess the main box ( connected to the SH4) has an IP address or subnet and the office box(connected to the Deco) has another and assume this is the problem.  

Any ideas?        

16 REPLIES 16

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've moved your post to the TiVo section, although... the TiVo doesn't have WiFi and can only be connected by Ethernet cable for multiroom streaming.

Are you sure it's not a V6 you have? It runs TiVo-software but is a very different beast with connectivity. Check here if you're not sure.

As general theory, you are correct to say both the donor & recipient box need to be on the same IP subnet for multiroom streaming to work - that's the same regardless of TV box software or model.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the reply. 
Sorry yes V6 boxes.

how to I change the IP subnet and which one should I do it on? 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Networking in this way is beyond my expertise and is something you'll need to do in your router, but...

Can you view the "other" V6 recordings via each "My Shows" view? And if so, what happens when you try to view a recording from the other box.. presumably it gives an error code? If so.. what is it?

If the subnet is the issue, I have a suspicion that you wouldn't get this far - and therefore this may not be the issue. But I'm at the limits of my expertise here so am just approaching this from a logical viewpoint.

There are others on this forum who have some experience of this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

What you should have is the hub in modem mode and the Deco in router mode. As the Deco has only two Ethernet ports connect the main Deco to a gigabit network switch and everything (including other Decos) to the switch. This will work as the main Deco will get its WAN IP address from the hub and its DHCP server will allocate IP addresses to connected devices.

Edited to add that my sig has an example of a network switch.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

SpacePhoenix
Fibre optic

Can the two boxes see that the other exists?

Any conflicts with multiple devices trying to use the same IP address? You can go into a settings page on the Virgin hub and manually allocated a device an IP address based on it's MAC address, which greatly reduces the chane of two or more devices trying to use the same IP address

Thanks Roger - I think that will be a solution, can see why that would work.  Only thing someone told me that nest not to use the SH4 in Modem mode? there was no need.

But I might give it a go over the weekend and test a few things out ( speed around the house etc ) to see.

@Space Phoenix 

Yes they can - the office v6 box shows up in the menu options.  But when I select it and try to connect, it does not connect.   

@Roger

The switch - Where is that connected to?  The SH4 in modem mode or of the Deco?

I do have about 5 other things connected by cable to the SB4, been thinking of a switch for a while now. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@bryansmithsnr wrote:

Yes they can - the office v6 box shows up in the menu options.  But when I select it and try to connect, it does not connect.   

Out of interest, what's the error code? Is it a Cxxx ?

P.S. you can edit your replies to save multiple ones - once posted, choose "post options" in the top-right and "edit post" for a short time after posting.