cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound problems with HD

Deb0408
Tuning in

Occasionally when watching HD channels/recordings and when watching things on Amazon prime or Netflix, what should be background noise (engines running, rainfall, crowd noise) is the only sound that can be heard, you can see people's mouths moving but not hear their voice/unable to hear commentary when watching live football on sky sports HD (but can hear commentary when watching on sky sports sd channel) We recently upgraded to a 4k TV, so not sure if it's the virgin box or our Samsung TV. Anyone have any ideas??

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm probably misunderstanding your question but...

Are you suggesting that certain aspects of the soundtrack are not being heard in favour of other parts? I really don't see how that's possible. While there's numerous tweaks to how the TV sound is processed/presented, none of those would alter the soundtrack itself..

I may have misunderstood..

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I'll give a couple of examples to hopefully make it clear, when I'm watching a football match on sky sports hd, after a couple of minutes, all that can be heard is the crowd noise and no commentary. When watching fast and furious, after a couple of minutes, all that can be heard is the car engines and not the characters speaking, even though you can see their mouths moving. As I say, not sure if it's my v6 box,or my new Samsung TV. But it's really starting to get on my nerves. The football issue I can fix by changing to the sd channel, but nothing I can do when it happens while trying to watch a film. 

Hi there @Deb0408

Thank you so much for your first post and welcome to our Community Forums, it' great to have you in the team. 

I'm so sorry to hear that you are facing this issue with your sound. 

Can I ask in particular which channels and programmes does this happen with? 

Do you have subtitles available, where possible, at the time to confirm that there should be audible dialogue?

Thank you. 

Hi Deb 

There's a couple of things you could try ... Check the sound output of the V6:

Home > Settings > Help & Settings > Audio > Dolby Digital ... Try switching between Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital to PCM ... To see if that improves or worsens the sound.

If there's no change (and depending on the age of your TV) you could try to adjust the sound output of the TV itself, I would assume there is a Menu to allow you to access these settings, if so, find the Audio Output - If you set the Treble & Bass at mid-level, it should change how the sound is transmitted from the TV. If the sound is fine then the issue could be with the audio output of the V6 (possibly)

If the above doesn't help then you may need a V6 replacement.

🤞

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

The 2 examples I can give are

1- When watching a live football game on channel 501 (Sky Sports Main Event HD), after a few minutes, all that can be heard is the background crowd noise, but when I switch to Channel 511 (Sky Sports Main Event SD) I can hear the commentary.

2- On Amazon Prime, trying to watch 'Wrath of Man' all that I can hear is the background noise/engines etc. The actors mouths move, but I can't hear any dialogue

I'll try that.  Thankyou

Hi Deb 

😊

It's worth a try and isn't costing anything.

Especially given that if you do need a replacement, it's highly unlikely to be a new one, but a refurbished, second-hand hub, and given the time of year, it could take a while to get to you. Fingers crossed you manage to get the sound to your liking.

Seasons Greetings,

🎄

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Deb0408 

I've just tested Wrath of Man for 15 minutes and had no issues.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable or port?

Are you using a soundbar?

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @Deb0408 

Just was popping past and wanted to check in and see how things have been since your post? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M