cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound out of sync

Letouldren
Joining in

Hi have just joined Virgin, we have 2 boxes on 1 the sound is out of sync. It is connected to a Samsung 4K tv

39 REPLIES 39

Hi Craybould18,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry that you're also having problems with the sound being out of sync. I can appreciate you'd like to get this working as soon as possible.

Is the sound out of sync on every channel or is it certain channels?

Does it work properly without the sound bar at all?

Let us know and we can help further.

Thanks

Melissa 

Had exactly same issue since we installed V6 box with Sony 65 4k TV and Sony soundbar. Got the buffering issue described in particular with the sound bar on some but not all channels.

Switched the sound setting as advised in the thread and TV sound is now perfectly in sync. Haven't dared try the soundbar yet, just delighted to be able to watch without ignoring the mouths moving!!

Switched the sound mode and now much better with the TV sound, sound bar ia still miles out though, and has the buffering issue mentioned up the thread. Any ideas please??

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Scuzzer72, 

Welcome to the Community and thanks for getting in touch. 

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing these issues. 

You have mentioned it happens on certain channels but not all. Do you know which channels the problems occur on?

Thanks 

Nat

Hi Scuzzer72

Did you have any luck with the soundbar sound sync? I have a new 4K TV and have sound sync issues when playing Virgin through it. Any help or tips would be great.

Thanks

N

I’ve had this problem since getting Virgin, using a hifi amp connected via the jack output on the V6 box. I could just about make the lip sync tolerable by delaying the audio via the amp itself.

If you go to Settings > Video Output > Video Output Format. Mine was set to 1080p, but most or all broadcast TV on Virgin is 1080i. You can click right, Test Formats. Do that and it will take you through a test sequence.

You can then select 1080p AND 1080i outputs, and it will pass the content natively to your TV without going through a conversion process! (I would keep 1080p turned on in addition to 1080i, as everything on Netflix/Prime is 1080p... but turn off all other options, including 576i or every time you go to an SD channel the box will switch outputs - annoying!)

I discovered the problem watching movie credits. As they went up the screen, they had clearly gone though interlaced to progressive conversion! New settings, credits look fine too!

Hi all. I am experiencing the exact same issue as described in previous posts.

Philips 4k TV, optical digital sound out, Denon A/V receiver. I have set the V6 box to output 'All' video resolutions.

If I set audio to just Dolby Digital, some HD channels are out of sync, the audio is delayed: BBC1 HD (108), Skysports News (509). Other channels are in sync, however: ITV1 HD (113) for example.

If I set audio to Dolby Digital to PCM, all channels are in sync. However, I lose the high quality Dolby Digital audio.

I checked this using the Virgin Ultra HD (999) channel. Set audio to just Dolby Digital - my receiver recognises the Dolby Digital input and sound is excellent, but out of sync. Set audio DD to PCM - sound is not as good, but in sync.

Incidentally, apps via the TV (i.e. Prime Video), and my chromecast ultra plugged directly into the receiver, all play video and Dolby Digital in sync.

I would love to resolve the V6 sync issue. Thanks.

Hmmm... I know that most receivers have an auto synch setting for HDMI but I'm not so sure about optical.. is there a specific reason why you are using Optical sound from the TV to the receiver rather than connect the V6 via HDMI to the receiver for audio and then HDMI out from the receiver to the TV for the video signal?

stemayf
On our wavelength
Thanks for replying.

I get the same issue using a 2nd HDMI from the TV to the receiver using ARC, so I was using the optical cable to eliminate the HDMI as an issue.

I can HDMI out from the V6 box to the receiver, and then from the receiver to the TV. This is how I had it until I installed my new 4K TV - my last one was only 1080. But, for reasons beyond my understanding, when I do this now, the V6 box will not output at 2160 saying my TV won't accept it (even though the signal is going to the receiver).

Am I missing something? Should my receiver be able to receive a 4K signal from the V6 box and output that 4K signal back to the TV without the V6 box saying it's not possible?

I'm pretty sure I have the receiver set up correctly, but there's a chance I've overlooked something...

Ahhh..... okay... looks like your receiver may not be able to pass through 4K video signals. Is it an older model? If so, that might be the issue. If it's a newer model, then have a look at the specs for the receiver and check that it can handle 4K... if it can, you might need to try a different HDMI cable. 

I have always had issues with ARC.. I have never managed to get it to work properly... if the receiver can't handle 4K signals, then your workaround using the optical cable for audio is the most sensible approach.