cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound glych

palcouk
On our wavelength

VM V6 box, Area #022 LG TV all software on both up to date

Every so often (a few times an hour) when watching TV, a std terrestrial channel  BBC/ITV/4/5 etc momentary loss of sound ie you may miss a word or two, occasional pixilation as well.

Done all the usual, restarted everything, checked system network connection. No change, engineer finally attended, stated there was a problem with the network box, which he repaired. Was OK for a week or so.

Next engineer stated that the internal cable from wall to the V6 box was the wrong type & replaced it, then checked cables outside.

But still the problem continues most irritating if watching a drama and you miss a bit of important dialogue. There is no problem on Netflix or Amazon connected directly via LG tv remote.

Where to next?  

17 REPLIES 17

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It sounds like you're describing pixellation on live TV, not affecting OnDemand & streaming. No surprise there - VoD & streaming uses the internet, not the TV signals.

The stock answer is that this is often a signal fault. Until/unless all your equipment from V6 box, through internal & external cabling, through to street cabinet connectiins, has been checked and proven fault-free, then there's potential for you to have had multiple faults and only - thus far - resolved one.

As far as how TV channels are carried through VM's network goes, they're not broadcast in direct correlation to their EPG positions, so referring to a "standard terrestrial channel" is (although well-intentioned) meangless without also clarifying whether you're having issues with the HD or SD versions.

The next step is to report your fault again, and most likely have another tech out. You can either call in via the 150 route, or wait on here for VM staff to respond - this might take a few days, given that it's now the weekend. I know it may sound great in theory, but you're paying for a TV service and there's no reason why any install isn't capable of being fault-free.

The only caveat here - "occasional" or intermittent faults can be hard to track down and even harder if there's no symptoms when the tech is onsite. If it's been problematic this past week, then some equipment (street cabinet especially) could have been struggling in the heat.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

palcouk
On our wavelength
Generally BBC/ITV/4/5 using HD
More often its just the sound glitch - loss of the odd word in dialogue - pixilation is less frequent

H palcouk, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear this is an ongoing issue for you. 

Taking a look at your V6 box, there does appear to be some issues with your signal levels. These may have become a problem since your last engineer visit though. Either way, we will need an engineer to resolve them. I'll also make a note on there that this is an intermittent issue so checking as far back as the cabinet is a must. I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi palcouk,

Thanks for coming back to via private message. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. We cannot confirm the appointment time slot, so to view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM

If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. 

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

palcouk
On our wavelength

Naturally when the engineer attended there was no sound problem, he tested the signal strength at our box. Said the box was a little warm.

Then went and tested at the pavement box and tweaked somethings, he said that the box was full of splitters and thought that the network side may be thinking of installing another box, at some stage.

Said if the problem re-occurred to maybe try replacing HDMI cables

Regards

T/Y

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You mentioned earlier that there was no problem if you're using VoD or streaming services. If the HDMI cable were to blame, all video output would be affected. For as long as only live TV is affected, this is likely to be a signal issue somewhere - but depending how frequent and/or obvious it is, is a pretty food correlation with how easy it'll be to track down.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for the update @palcouk.

Please do try the new HDMI cable if needed, and keep us updated on how it goes.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

palcouk
On our wavelength

The saga continues, below is a list of My Shows giving date recorded, all resulted in freezes, some you could fast forward and continue

ITV HD 12/08 Beacons

CH5 HD 17/08 GPS behind

CH4 HD 17/08 Life of Zoo

More4 HD 15/08 Emergency Heli

CH4 HD 19/08 Pace in the sun

CH4/7 22/08 Place In the sun

BBC1 HD 22/08 Baptiste froze after 15 minutes, watched on I player

ITC HD 22/08 Prof T froze after 14 minutes

Unless sated all the above froze during playing for a few minutes

Regards

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi palcouk,

If recordings are freezing then it sounds like a hard drive issue and you will need to contact the Faults team. They should either send out a replacement V6 or arrange an engineer visit.

You should call  150 from a Virgin phone, or 0345 454 1111, option 2 (Faultsbut best to call between 8am and 10am to avoid call queues, or late afternoon around tea time

When calling Faults you will hear the automated response asking you to press 1 for the link to online support etc.

Ignore all the options and don't press any buttons then you should be placed into a queue and an agent should pick up the phone and resolve the problem.

A member of the Forum Team may pick this up for you, but it may take a day or two.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali