cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound but no picture on v6 box

johnnyt74
Tuning in

Hi all,

I've had the v6 box for a number of years. It has started giving sound but no picture at all.

I've changed the HDMI lead with a known good one and it's the same.

If I power off the v6 box then the picture will briefly return as the box powers up but with a lot of artifacts and then, when the telly starts again, it just goes black every now and then until, eventually, after a few minutes it just goes completely and leaves the sound.

I'd like to book an engineer but the chat doesn't help at all as I can't get through to anyone but I've noticed a few people having luck contacting you through this forum.

Is there a mod or someone who can help me book an engineer to look at this?

Thanks 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@johnnyt74 wrote:

Not one for the moderators as such, but the staff team may be able to help if you're willing to wait for a couple of days.

Otherwise, what're the issues you're having with calling through? Choose the options for "I have a fault" then ignore every other option and just wait on the line.

Have you also eliminated your TV's HDMI port as a source of these problems?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@johnnyt74 wrote:

Not one for the moderators as such, but the staff team may be able to help if you're willing to wait for a couple of days.

Otherwise, what're the issues you're having with calling through? Choose the options for "I have a fault" then ignore every other option and just wait on the line.

Have you also eliminated your TV's HDMI port as a source of these problems?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for getting back to me. I went through the chat service. Answered all the questions and then waited for 10 minutes but no "agent" showed up.

Very frustrating.

I'll try again after I've typed this though.

I have ruled out the TV HDMI and everything in-between. I'm an electrical engineer by trade so have (half!! 🙂 ) and idea. It is definitely the Virgin box causing the issues.

It's in a well ventilated area but we have had it a LOT of years so I think it's maybe just dying of old age (aren't we all) 🙂

Thanks for your help 🙂

Hi johnnyt74,

Thanks for posting, and sorry to see you've been having some issues with your TV box.

I've had a look at things from our side and can see you've been able to arrange an engineer 🙂

Pop back and let us know how this goes.

Alex_Rm

Yep, engineer coming Monday morning so no telly until then... hoping they can sort it finger firmly crossed.

Thanks 🙂

Just an update for anyone with the same problem...

Engineer came out this morning and replaced the box. The issue was still the same - sound but no picture.

He plugged in his own TV and the box was working fine on it so he was stuck and couldn't go any further.

I asked him to leave the box and I'd have a play around with it myself. He agreed and said he'd phone tomorrow to see how I was getting on.

My set up is as follows...

Virgin V6 box  --> AV Receiver --> Wall HDMI socket --> TV HDMI socket --> LG TV (HDMI 2)

I connected the Virgin box to a known good channel on the AV receiver - sound but no picture

I connected the Virgin box directly to the wall socket - sound but no picture

I connected the Virgin box directly to the TV on HDMI 2 - bingo!! Picture AND sound!!

So, while I had the picture I changed the settings on the box. It was set to only 2160. I ran through the tests and found that every video type was compatible so I ticked all of them.

I also changed from "Full Screen" to "Panel" mode.

I then put everything back and it is now working fine. Job done.

I'm wondering if one of the HDMI connections somewhere is struggling with the 2160 generated output from the V6 box? More than happy for someone to jump in with a technical explanation if they know one??

The Virgin engineer is phoning me tomorrow to see how I got on so I'll fill him in about it and he'll know for other customers with a similar issue.

Hoping this helps someone else who is in the same predicament.

Hi johnnyt74,

Thank you for reaching back out to us, glad to hear you have now been able to get this resolved, sounds like this was an issue with the AV receiver however you have managed to fix it, if you have any further issues, please do not hesitate to reach back out.

Regards

Paul.