Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound Glych issue

Diddyman
On our wavelength

Hi

For a couple of weeks now I have been notiching a sound glytch issue just like:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/Sound-glych/td-p/4779771

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/Pixelation-and-sound-drops-on-V6-BBC-HD-channels/t...

Has happened on BBC One HD and last night it happened whilst we watched a film on Channel 4 HD.

Like other posts above this seemed to occurs randomly but when it does it then re-occurs every 15 to 20 minutes.

Most times the sound will just drop out of for a second but ocassionally it there will also be a very small area of pixelisation on the screen too.

Never happened when streaming from apps on the V6 box, and so far have only experiences this on BBC One HD, BBC Two HD and Channel 4 HD.

Any assistance would be welcome.

Thanks

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Well you've covered some of the more obvious "first checks", but...

You've hinted at pixellation which can sometimes suggest a signal issue - if C4-HD is affected, it's on the same TX as ITV-HD. You've not mentioned issues there.

If the problem was in your sound setup I'd expect all output (regardless of source) to be affected, but just incase - how is your sound wired? HDMI to TV, or an optical output/sound-bar/AV-amp?

Does toggling Dolby/stereo have any impact? (Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Audio)

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Well you've covered some of the more obvious "first checks", but...

You've hinted at pixellation which can sometimes suggest a signal issue - if C4-HD is affected, it's on the same TX as ITV-HD. You've not mentioned issues there.

If the problem was in your sound setup I'd expect all output (regardless of source) to be affected, but just incase - how is your sound wired? HDMI to TV, or an optical output/sound-bar/AV-amp?

Does toggling Dolby/stereo have any impact? (Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Audio)

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Diddyman
On our wavelength

Thanks for input, I have checked audio options and the only options we have are Dolby Digital (currently uses this) or Dolby Digital PCM, no Stereo option though.

Not entirely sure what the difference is here so have changed it from Dolby Digital to Dolby Digital PCM to see how it goes.

We have upgraded our TV in the past month from a 12 year old 1080p LED TV to a modern 4K OLED TV and this issue perhaps was noticed shortly after that.

Also I would point out that when where is a sound glitch that has a small element of pixelisation, if I then rewind the live TV, the pixelisation and sound glitch is repeated again on the playback, however when there is a sound glitch only I am not entirely sure that this is  repeated on the play back, I will check next times it happens.

Yesterday the wife was watching some very old films for many hours on the Talking Pictures channel and no issues, but the sound glitch started when we switched to channel 4 HD to watch Olympus has Fallen.

As for ITV HD, we have not really watched any content from that channel.

We are connecting the TV via new 4K HDMI cables I bought new when I got the TV, so strongly believe the issue is either with the virgin stream signal as when there is pixelisation + sound glitch it is actually recorded or when just a sound issue it is perhaps the Virgin box.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

By means of a little explanation...

@Diddyman wrote:

We are connecting the TV via new 4K HDMI cables I bought new when I got the TV, so strongly believe the issue is either with the virgin stream signal as when there is pixelisation + sound glitch it is actually recorded or when just a sound issue it is perhaps the Virgin box.

Digital TV platforms broadcast channels in muiltiplexes, or small groups which don't always bear any resemblance to their EPG positions. A signal fault affecting one channel is often affecting all the channels on that mux. ITV-HD & C4-HD are on the same mux, hence my reference to ITV-HD.

What's the make & model of your current TV? Others may have experience of the same/similar model.

Diddyman
On our wavelength

TV is Sony a new A80J 55"

Hi @Diddyman,

Thank you for your posts and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear that you've been having some problems with the sound and image glitching. It looks like @japitts has gone through a few troubleshooting checks with you, which is great so thank you for that.

Have you noticed if this issue occurs on recorded programmes too, or does it only appear to be when you're watching live TV? If you haven't done so already I'd also recommend ensuring that all cables are connected fully and securely, just so we can eliminate that being the potential culprit.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

I'm experiencing this exact issue. sound drops intermittently for a second/pixellation occurs. is there a solution? 

Hi thenel,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to see you are facing sound drops and pixilation on the TV, have you tried a different HDMI cable or connector on the TV first to rule this out?

Regards

Paul.