Menu
Highlighted
Janined239
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Sky Q v V6

Hi, I am thinking about getting a box for my daughters bedroom but don't want holes drilled in my walls to accept cabling.  Does the V6 give the same wireless options a Sky Q does anyone know?  Nobody can assist me on online chat and I don't have hours to sit and wait for someone to answer my call

0 Kudos
ianward
Up to speed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Q v V6

You can connect the V6 box to a VM hub via wi-fi, home plug or ethernet.

When I had a V6 box I connected via wi-fi without issues and the two devices were in different rooms, the wi-fi will depend on the distance from the hub and any obstacles that could affect the signal but if you get a good signal via lets say, a phone in the room you want the V6 it should be fine, however bear in mind the V6 will need the coaxial cabling that is hard wired.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Not really. The V6 requires 2 connections to work. A coax to connect to the VM network to deliver the TV service. So if there is no VM wall socket in the room - one will have to be fitted. They usually run the cable around the outside of the house and ten drill through to site the wall point. The cabling can also be run internally from the existing wall point downstairs - but still needs to reach the bedroom - so that could be problematic for you.
The V6 also needs connecting to the Hub to work properly e.g the EPG, catch Up, apps. That is best done with Cat6 ethernet cable but can also be done on wifi assuming there is a good signal at its location (I have 2 running that way) or via powerline adapters if your circuits permit that

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You have a hole drilled through an exterior wall already, so why be bothered about a hole in an interior wall? Drill that hole and use it for the coax and Ethernet cables.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Janined239 wrote:

Hi, I am thinking about getting a box for my daughters bedroom but don't want holes drilled in my walls to accept cabling.  Does the V6 give the same wireless options a Sky Q does anyone know?  Nobody can assist me on online chat and I don't have hours to sit and wait for someone to answer my call

SkyQ uses wired/wireless streamers which have no internal tuners or storage capacity. V6 boxes are totally independent of eachother & the cable tuners require a mandatory coax connection to receive live channels as well as ethernet/WiFi for apps & EPG content. Recordings are totally seperate but can be streamed from one to another.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos