cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Cinema picture quality

sban
On our wavelength

Hi all, I just got Sky Cinema HD as part of a contract renewal and am very disappointed with the picture quality. It's nowhere near as sharp as other HD channels provided by Virgin – not just BBC1 etc but also Sky's own channels.

Is this a known issue and should I be contacting customer service or is it just Virgin trying to get me to shell out more for UHD?

Separately, should I have been given TV 360 as part of the renewal? I was told that would be extra but can see some people here mentioning they got it as standard.

8 REPLIES 8

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Which channel numbers are you using for Sky Cinema? On the V6 and TiVo there are both SD and HD channel numbers.

As for the 360 box, it's not usually part of a bundle renewal at this stage unless it's specifically discussed and agreed to change over. Most new bundle agreements can apply to your existing kit.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

sban
On our wavelength

@BenMcr wrote:
Which channel numbers are you using for Sky Cinema? On the V6 and TiVo there are both SD and HD channel numbers.

Channels 401-12. They're the only Sky Cinema channels I have and they say HD next to them.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There's two things in this query for me...

360: It's a fundamentally different software platform to TiVo, which drives the TiVo & V6 boxes. It's different - some say better, some say worse, but no doubt different. A migration from TiVo/V6 to 360 is entirely voluntary at this time, but it's an irreversible change. So do your research, find out about it, and decide you want it. Going for it just because you think you should have been offered it, runs a distinct risk of regretting it later.

And as per Ben - Sky Cinema HD channels are in positions 401-412, are there any particular ones that you are struggling with the PQ on? There shouldn't be any difference between them and any other Sky-HD channels.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

sban
On our wavelength

Thanks japitts.

360: understood and will do my research.

Sky Cinema: not struggling with any particular ones but finding overall quality on all the Sky Cinema channels inferior to other HD channels.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you find the same issue with Sky Cinema OnDemand?

What size TV are you watching on? Can you post a picture/video of what you mean by "poor PQ"? It may help others to advise, or see if there's an obvious cause.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

sban
On our wavelength

Have called Virgin now and they have identified 'performance issues' with my service. Engineer visit next week.

sban
On our wavelength

Update: following engineer visit and a few phone calls to retention, Virgin upgraded me to TV 360 and added UHD for no extra charge.

Thanks for coming back to us @sban and letting us know what happened with your engineer visit and I'm glad that the team could upgrade your services to UHD without any extra charge.

Have a great weekend 🙂

Thanks,

Steven_L