cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Cimena on demand fault, constant pause like buffering

TheTomos
Joining in

I've tried it on 3 TV boxes, different WiFi, plugged into Ethernet port in the wall and eventually plugged directly into Hub4 and it still stutters. So not a bandwidth issue. Its persisted for days any ideas? 

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Could you explain what the issue is, please?

And does it affect all OnDemand content, or only Sky Cinema? The VoD platform is identical for all broadcasters except for the app-based iPlayer - so if there's an issue with your OnDemand, it should affect all programmes.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Certain movies, it's like it's buffering constantly. So you watch a few seconds it pauses for a few seconds etc. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If only particular programmes are affected, what are they? Someone can check those specific films to see if they're affected.

Are other OnDemand programmes affected? As per my previous post, Sky Cinema OD uses the same technology as every other channel bar the BBC. That'll be a quick way to identify if you have an issue with OD in general.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I watched Sherlock 1 and it happened a bit, Sherlock 2 was constant between 30 and 33 minutes it took us over 10 minutes to watch. Yet American Psycho was completely without incident. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This sounds horribly like a connectivity issue to me.

So your V6 connects to the internet via your homehub, and then onwards - I'm presuming you don't have any problems with speeds over your broadband in general, and this issue is only apparent on VoD via your V6.

In which case - you mention you've tried wireless & Ethernet cable, can you confirm? Ethernet is certainly preferred given the choice, but have you tried another Ethernet cable and also another port on your hub? Or indeed proven the port as good using another device?

If this is over wireless, what's the signal strength? Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and check in the top-right.

I agree it seems like that, but three boxes increasingly closer to router (Hub4), but direct connection via Ethernet didn't fix it. Plus other movies were fine. Maybe its just this film?

Yes Hub and all ports on it are fine gigabit connection fine. 

Watched it on laptop (ironically via WiFi) no issues at all. Reported all three TV boxes and an engineer is meant to be coming out. But I've had dates, confirmed be texts and they've still not shown up so we'll see. I have tested the boxes still don't work but at least the laptop works and via HDMI the TV. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@TheTomos wrote:

I watched Sherlock 1 and it happened a bit, Sherlock 2 was constant between 30 and 33 minutes it took us over 10 minutes to watch. Yet American Psycho was completely without incident. 

If I could find this in the EPG it would be a quick & simple test, but I can't - I can only see "Sherlock".

Can you confirm the title? Or the exact menu path to a listing?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've just gone into Sky Cinema Action (on my 360) and there are 2 Sherlock Holmes movies listed.

I fast forwarded to 30 minutes and watched until 35 minutes into the movie on Sherlock Holmes A Game of Shadows HD (Sherlock2?) and had no issues

I alos tested the same movie in UHD between the same points and had no issues. 

I've also tested Sherlock Holmes on both HD and UHD via Sky Cinema Action for 15 minutes and again no issues.

There may possibly be (or had been) local issues affecting On Demand / Catch Up in the OP's local area.

I know there were issues in a lot of areas, including mine, according to the Status page following the nationwide outage, so perhaps if the OP tries again they will find they now play correctly? 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali