Menu
paulramplin
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sibilance

Hi.

I'm getting a lot of sibilance (the hissing of S's) when I listen to my Virgin box through my Onkyo home theatre system.  But when I watch any other source - Netflix, Now TV, Blurays etc, all with the same audio settings - there is no sibilance at all.

Has anyone else experience this?  And can anyone think of anything I can do to get rid of this problem?  I'm pretty sure the problem is with the audio from the Virgin box, as, like I said, other sources don't have the problem.  And also, my previous TV box (BT) didn't have any sibilance problems.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
dante01
Rising star
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sibilance

This is more likely to d with the source and how it was mixed or encoded? TV broadcasts have a notoriously bad reputation in this respect.

0 Kudos
paulramplin
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That's quite frustrating.  The only audio setting I can find on the Virgin box is an either/or digital setting, which doesn't do much to help eliminate any sibilance.  I know this is like asking how long a piece of string is, but can you offer any advice on a quick audio change I can make when watching through the Virgin box to reduce the sibilance?  I don't really want to change my home theatre settings because everything else sounds so good, but if there was something like... I don't know, maybe an 'eliminate sibilance' button that I could press, I'd be very happy!

0 Kudos
dante01
Rising star
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@paulramplin wrote:

That's quite frustrating.  The only audio setting I can find on the Virgin box is an either/or digital setting, which doesn't do much to help eliminate any sibilance.  I know this is like asking how long a piece of string is, but can you offer any advice on a quick audio change I can make when watching through the Virgin box to reduce the sibilance?  I don't really want to change my home theatre settings because everything else sounds so good, but if there was something like... I don't know, maybe an 'eliminate sibilance' button that I could press, I'd be very happy!

There's no such function on either he V6 or your AV receiver. I've played around with various AV setups over the years and haven't found a way to do away with the sibilance. What I can say is that actually picking up on it and then trying to eliminate it seems to make it worse in your minds eye. You could try omitting the centre speaker from your setup to make the dialogue and the associated sibilance less prominent. Other than this, learn to live with it.

0 Kudos
paulramplin
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Curses.  Or should I say 'cursssesss.'

Temporarily taking out the centre speaker might make it better when the sibilance is too bad (and some channels are WAY worse than others.)  Or perhaps using just a 2.1 set up might work too.  I'll give it a whirl.

0 Kudos
dante01
Rising star
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How do things sound if you turn off or bypass the AV receiver's EQ room correction?

0 Kudos
paulramplin
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well...  I now have a worse problem - the TV picture seems to have disappeared altogether!  When I get that sorted, I'll get back to this!

0 Kudos
paulramplin
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Okay, regarding the lack of picture, I've trawled the forums and see that a lot of people seem to have a 'no picture but still have sound' problem and one of the answers seems to be setting the resolution output to 'pass through' which is what I have done.  And so far so good, so I'll keep my fingers crossed on that one.

Back to the sibilance issue.  I tried to bypass the amp's EQ settings but that didn't do any good.  The best option I've found is changing the audio output to a two channel setting.  The sibilance is still there, it's just not as noticeable.  I will see how things go.  

Carlpov10
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have just had virgin installed. V6 box and have the same issue. 2 TVs.. I new. Lgs. I have a Sony soundbar but it doesn't really help as they just accentuate the source. It's all at the top end...almost clipping in the s's. Had 2 engineers round and they say they cant help but can hear it slightly...on some channels. Some channels are unwatchable...

0 Kudos