cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Series Record confusion

Oops2
Tuning in

Recently, when trying to set a series record for certain BBC1 HD programmes, the series record symbol has failed to show on the programme guide. I then tried to reset series record but the option is no longer available, suggesting that the programme has been set to record elsewhere. I subsequently found that the V6 software (it certainly wasn't me!) has chosen to set the series record for channel 861 (BBC1 HD London).

Why is this, and what can I do to ensure that the chosen channel is set to record? It is disconcerting to set a series record and not see it confirmed in the programme guide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It sounds like you've inadvertently set the SL for "all channels", and now that the regional BBC variants are also in HD - TiVo/V6 will record in those rather than BBC1-HD.

It makes no difference to the end result, the programme will still record, and in HD as per your SL preferences.

You can change the SL config from "all channels" to channel-specific. You can also check future recordings anytime by following Home > My Shows > My planned recordings.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It sounds like you've inadvertently set the SL for "all channels", and now that the regional BBC variants are also in HD - TiVo/V6 will record in those rather than BBC1-HD.

It makes no difference to the end result, the programme will still record, and in HD as per your SL preferences.

You can change the SL config from "all channels" to channel-specific. You can also check future recordings anytime by following Home > My Shows > My planned recordings.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

ozsat
Superstar

The programme on 861 will be the same as 101 and on at the same time - so it doesn't really matter which channel it records from.

It records from the channel which starts first - or the highest channel number.

@Oops2 wrote:

Recently, when trying to set a series record for certain BBC1 HD programmes, the series record symbol has failed to show on the programme guide. I then tried to reset series record but the option is no longer available, suggesting that the programme has been set to record elsewhere. I subsequently found that the V6 software (it certainly wasn't me!) has chosen to set the series record for channel 861 (BBC1 HD London).

Why is this, and what can I do to ensure that the chosen channel is set to record? It is disconcerting to set a series record and not see it confirmed in the programme guide.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ozsat wrote:

The programme on 861 will be the same as 101 and on at the same time - so it doesn't really matter which channel it records from.

Assuming that you are in a London franchise area. Localy inserted programmes will be different depending which local region is on 101. Some programmes carry the same name but a different local version.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I also got caught out last week with, I think it was the HIGNFY "unedited" version and BBC1 London was something else but this was a last-minute schedule change. That could easily have happened anytime.

Easy to solve with channel = BBC1-HD where regional programmes are involved.

That is where they should not use ALL channels - it is a user selection.

Other than the local news inserts - what other programmes are there?   BBC titles should have the region in the name to prevent this.

If a wrong version of the programme is recorded because it picks the wrong region - then that is a guide error which should be reported.

@nodrogd wrote:

@ozsat wrote:

Assuming that you are in a London franchise area. Localy inserted programmes will be different depending which local region is on 101. Some programmes carry the same name but a different local version.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ozsat wrote:

Other than the local news inserts - what other programmes are there?

Sunday politics has local inserts, as does Breakfast. 
We Are England, which replaced Inside Out is also broadcast in regional versions.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate that the change has been precipitated by the BBC increasing the number of local programmes available in HD, but it seems to have caught VM with its pants down when it comes to the way the programme guide operates. Previously when I recorded or set a series link for a BBC1 HD programme, the appropriate symbol would appear in the BBC1 HD location in the guide. Job done. Having to now check in the Planned Recordings menu to get confirmation that the programme is set to record (but potentially on another channel) is, in my view, a backwards step.

A tiny thing in the greater scheme of life, but frustrating nonetheless.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Oops2 wrote:

Previously when I recorded or set a series link for a BBC1 HD programme, the appropriate symbol would appear in the BBC1 HD location in the guide.

It's worth noting, this is one of the differences between the TiVo/V6 platform, and 360.

360 currently has no facility for "multi-channel" series links, something that TiVo/V6 does. It has the benefit that when a particular programme/series is shown across different channels, the SL config can easily be altered to include this. C4 programmes are often shown across C4, 4-Seven & More-4 - for example.

When VM recently introduced regional-HD on BBC1 (and thus changed 101 from SD to HD, and removed BBC1-HD on 108), 360-users had to reset their series links whereas TiVo/V6 used the multi-channel option to have a seamless change.

As advised by others, altering the config of individual series links for your preferences is very easily done.

Sunday Politics has the region added to the title - so in the South it lists as Politics South.In London it lists as Politics London.

We had the correct 'We Are England' in the listings in the South for last Monday.

I agree it is easier to view the links if they are all at the top - but TiVo is recording the correct programmes here even if not on the expected channel.

@nodrogd wrote:

@ozsat wrote:

Other than the local news inserts - what other programmes are there?

Sunday politics has local inserts, as does Breakfast. 
We Are England, which replaced Inside Out is also broadcast in regional versions.