Menu
OmarS
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Self Install wall box issue

Hi,

I recently upgraded from broadband and phone to broadband, phone and TV. I have not had the TV service at this property before. In fact I was the first person to ever have any Virgin service at the properrty. When I wanted Virgin Broadband/Phone an engineer came out and added a wallbox to the front room of my house, then ran a long cable from that, through the house to the kitchen/living room where the Superhub 3 sits. 

Looking at he setup for the TV V6 box I need to attach a splitter to the wall box, however this isn't in my living room.

Do I need an engineer to come out and install a wallbox in the living room or can I just split the cable the last engineer ran to the living from the box in the front room?

0 Kudos
PrinterElf
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Self Install wall box issue

You should be able to attach the splitter to the end of the cable rather than the wall box, however as I can't remember exactly what comes in the quick start kit, you may find yourself one piece of coax short of what you need as, while the box will contain the cable for splitter to V6, it likely won't contain an additional cable for splitter to Superhub.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Self install kits are based on you wanting all your kit in one location. Therefore removing the cable from the back of the hub & plugging the splitter in there. The TV box should also be directly wired to the hub via the Ethernet cable provided as it has no internal modem with which to download the programme guide or the app content.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Ben_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi OmarS,

Welcome to the community!

The splitter should connect to that wire. If you receive the kit and you're missing a wire please let us know and we'll see what we can do. 

Thanks

Ben

0 Kudos
OmarS
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks the kit indeed did work, I took the attenuator off the cable  put on the splitter and wires the TV box up and the put the attenuator back on the the cable that went from the splitter to the Internet hub. 

I got kinda confused by the quick start videos as they seemed to deal with a setup slightly diff to mine. My wall cable screws in rather than pops like in the videos  

Overall it was easy, but it would of been great if the customer support had given me a quick technical answer, when I called  I got through to an indignant Indian call center man who basically called me a liar because he didn't believe that I got the deal I got in an upgrade. He essentially called me a liar and wanted to charge me to have a, tech come out. 

Virgin telephone support is woeful, slow inefficient and staffed by people who are determined to make sure I never recommend the service to a friend  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I would remove the attenuator from the setup altogether, as inserting a splitter & another box will drop the levels by around the same amount. Having it where it is now may cause an imbalance. If anything it needs to be on the feed into the splitter.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos