cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STV Player and Netflix Apps

JohnnyB1968
On our wavelength

Hello, 

I have an on going issue where my Netflix and STV player app will load and sign in but as soon as I choose a program to watch I get a circular wait before the app times out and says reconnecting

i have tried rebooting the V6 box, signing out or apps and signing back in. This works for a short time but then I’m back with apps not working. Getting a little annoying 

any suggestions 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thank you for reaching out to me,

the Ethernet cable is good. Have tried changing.

I can stream Netflix and STV player from any other devices in the house. When it stops working on the V6 I use a Roku stick on my TV to watch them. Currently they are both working. After leaving them in a not working state they started to work again by them selves. This is what happens

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does this same problem occur with any other streaming apps, or OnDemand programmes?

If those services work, then that's your V6's internet connection proven and it's potentially an issue with those specific apps.

Try finding a programme from the TV Guide, and press "OK" to "watch from CatchUp" and see if that works ok.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for replying

On other streaming devices the apps work fine with no issue.

I have done numerous checks on internet connection and V6 reported no problems. Other apps such as iPlayer and YouTube have only ever experienced this problem once that I can remember.

In will try your suggestion on catch up. When I am home

I was wondering if maybe an update had happened and app hadn't been updated correctly. If so can you delete the app and updated it ?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What are these "numerous checks" that you've done? Is it the TV Speed test via the V6 menus - that's the only test I'd think is going to prove anything here.

Apps are provided by the individual broadcaster, your V6 box just provides the connectivity to it. If Netflix or STV have changed anything, you'd have to ask them - but it's not an update that would need installing in the way it does on a phone or tablet.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi, all apps work fine on my Roku stick, iPads, iPhones it’s only the V6 box they don’t work in. I get a message saying connection issue and time out. 
The test I have done are the built in tests on the V6 box,, connect to media service, network status, network diagnostics. All test passed 
The speed test comes back suitable for TV

Hi catch up is working fine. It’s when I go into the app and it’s a non catch up does everything stop and it says connection issue. With Netflix I get as far as choose person then it too times out. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This does sound like an app-specific issue, but there's ways you can prove it.

You've proven that OnDemand works by watching a programme from (non-BBC) CatchUp?

Try the same with a BBC programme - this uses the iPlayer app. Does that work?

Can you also try using the ITV, C4 or C5 branded apps - how do they behave?

Is the V6 connected to the hub with an Ethernet cable? If not do so and see if it makes a difference.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi, yes it is connected via an Ethernet cable

Yes it is connected via Ethernet cable