cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ridiculously large subtitles

Belinda1312
Tuning in

This is about the ongoing issue of the ridiculously huge text size of the subtitles that has never been resolved.

Subtitles on the Virgin TV box are ridiculously large, blocky, low resolution, with black backgrounds that take up the whole bottom third of the screen. They look completely out of date, like Ceefax subtitles from the 1980s. 

Don't reply saying it's the aspect ratio as it is not. It is the same on all channels including widescreen HD channels. 

Virgin please sort this out please once and for all, it's 2021 not the year 2000. Why can't the subtitles be lower down on the screen and brought up to date please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

asim18
Fibre optic

I informed Virgin Media of their considerably inferior subtitles several years ago. It was sent for "higher review" but it looks like Huw's message to the "higher powers" went straight in the bin, they didn't even bother getting back to a fellow colleague.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Can-you-fix-subtitle-rendering-please/m-p/2403525

Nothing has been done about it on over 5 years, and I doubt anything will be done about it in the future.

What I find absolutely staggering is that my old free-to-air satellite receiver had HD subtitles back in 2012 and is blisteringly fast and has twice as many channels as Virgin Media, and the best thing? It cost £25 BRAND NEW. I've paid VM thousands of pounds since 2014 and they still have cheap teletext subtitles from 1995, with a cheap and slow TiVo box that's about 50 times slower than the old Cable&Wireless cable box from 1998, and less channels than FREE satellite TV.

Virgin Media is highest price and lowest service.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

asim18
Fibre optic

I informed Virgin Media of their considerably inferior subtitles several years ago. It was sent for "higher review" but it looks like Huw's message to the "higher powers" went straight in the bin, they didn't even bother getting back to a fellow colleague.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Can-you-fix-subtitle-rendering-please/m-p/2403525

Nothing has been done about it on over 5 years, and I doubt anything will be done about it in the future.

What I find absolutely staggering is that my old free-to-air satellite receiver had HD subtitles back in 2012 and is blisteringly fast and has twice as many channels as Virgin Media, and the best thing? It cost £25 BRAND NEW. I've paid VM thousands of pounds since 2014 and they still have cheap teletext subtitles from 1995, with a cheap and slow TiVo box that's about 50 times slower than the old Cable&Wireless cable box from 1998, and less channels than FREE satellite TV.

Virgin Media is highest price and lowest service.

Thanks for your response asim18 what a ridiculous state of affairs, I'm shocked that you say this was flagged up 5 years ago and nothing has been done about the ludicrous size of the subtitles.

Is anyone from Virgin equality team going to comment please and look into it for all us hard of hearing that rely on subtitles? I don't think I can stand the inferior subtitles much longer and will have to look for another provider. What a very sorry state of affairs. I shall also flag it up with the RNID and Offcom.

Hi Belinda1312, thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

I am sorry you're dissatisfied with the size of the subtitles on your TV service.  I can feed this back on your behalf to the relevant teams.

Regards

Lee_R