cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote control needs frequent pairing.

Ropy
Superfast

Hi.

I have to Pair my remote control almost every day with the V6 box.

When it fails, the red led flashes on the Remote when I press a button, but there is no corresponding flash on the V6 box however close I get.

This suggests that it hasn't reverted to IR with the V6 box.

If I press the remote power button the led flashes red when I let it go, but the V6 box ignores it.

If I hold the power button, after a few seconds the led flashes green and the TV switches on or off.

I assume this is IR signalling.

There are new batteries in the remote.

Also, if I switch the V6 box off with the power switch on the back and switch it back on after about 30secs, the remote works OK.

I can put the remote in my pocket and it still works.

Does this indicate a V6 box or remote control problem?

Are there any suggestion for further testing that I could try to diagnose this problem?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just to clarify...

Once the pairing apparently fails, the only sure-fire way to re-pair is to restart the V6? And then wait for it to happen again etc.

My immediate instinct is to say that you need to remove one out of the V6 or remote from the equation and see if the same happens - I can't think of anything obvious that you've not already mentioned. Clearly sourcing a new remote is the easiest option - are you able to order a replacement using https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-lost-or-damaged-tv-remote/download-tv-control-app as a starter for six?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi japitts.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The remote will temporarily re-pair either way.

Either method works:-

Re-pair by holding the minus button on the V6 box for 10 seconds...etc using the procedure set out in the Help page.

Or

Power cycle the V6 box with the switch on the back. Nothing is done to the remote.

Either way the V6 box has some sort of action applied to it.

I'll start with the remote app using the link you supplied and see if it fixes it. ** I've just ordered a new remote as well.

Is it a fair comparison? Does it use the Wifi?

My feeling is that it's the V6 box because the red led flashes on the remote when I press buttons, but there is no corresponding flash on the V6 box.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers.

Well, after the last pairing it didn’t fail for nearly a week!

I began to think it had self healed. 
I had already ordered a new remote so I paired that from new and wait to see if that fixes it.

The new remote had extra info for the pairing.  

I forgot to test the app. 
I’ll try it if the new remote fails. 
More later. 
Cheers

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Ropy

Thanks for getting back to us to let us know how things are going with your remote.

Please do keep us posted on how you get on with your new remote, hopefully this will fix the issue of frequent pairing you're having 🙂

Kind regards,

Serena