cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Problems With V6 Box Mounted Vertically Behind TV

Poddys
Dialled in

We have had a new living room built with the tv mounted on the wall and the Virgin engineer installed the cable yesterday just above the bracket on the wall so we can have the cables out of sight behind the tv.

Firstly having seen several other old threads about this, I wanted to say that this should work fine, making it possible to hide the cables nicely.

My question is about the remote for the V6 box, which I thought was Bluetooth but appears to be RF.

I wanted to mount the V6 box on the wall behnd the TV to hide that also, but holding it up behind the TV, the remote doesn't seem to work. Standing it on the floor with the front down (due to the short cable) the remote also doesn't work, so I assume the sensor is on the front panel of the V6 box.

I assume I need to experiment with the location to make sure the remote will still work, before mounting the box. I wondered if anyone had any suggestions for mounting to ensure the remote works without problems.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The v6 can work via RF or infrared, if you go into the settings of the v6 it will explain how to pair the V6 remote to use RF

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The v6 can work via RF or infrared, if you go into the settings of the v6 it will explain how to pair the V6 remote to use RF

Thanks. I think I may have found the documentation as you said here, page 24 https://my.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virgoBrowse/docs/Virgin-TV-V6-Quickstart-Guide-for-Existing-C...
Appreciate the rapid response.

Had our V6 box for 2-3 years and always in "line of sight" so I wasn't aware of what was available. Fingers crossed this works ok once I pair it.

Drat it's not working! I can't set my V6 remote into RF mode.

I followed the instructions for pairing the remote. It said another remote was paired with the tv. I tried pairing the current one, pressing the INFO button for 7 seconds. The light at the top of the tv remained solid red, even after 20 or more seconds.

So I took the option to unpair the current remote. That was successful. Tried to pair it again by pressing INFO and still just a solid red light at the top of the remote.

I came out of the settings and back in, it says there is no remote paired with this V6 box. Tried again, still just a solid red light on the remote.

Hmmm... Searching the forum again and apparently there are 2 remotes. I found a post with a photo of them and it seems I must have been sent the older remote that only has IR not RF. So I just need to order a new remote I guess. Nothing is ever straightforward in my world.

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Well least its an easy fix just getting the correct remote, hopefully one gets sent soon

Did you try new batteries?  Although the remote itself may be working I've found the pairing will not work with batteries on their way out.

@Poddys wrote:

Drat it's not working! I can't set my V6 remote into RF mode.

I followed the instructions for pairing the remote. It said another remote was paired with the tv. I tried pairing the current one, pressing the INFO button for 7 seconds. The light at the top of the tv remained solid red, even after 20 or more seconds.

So I took the option to unpair the current remote. That was successful. Tried to pair it again by pressing INFO and still just a solid red light at the top of the remote.

I came out of the settings and back in, it says there is no remote paired with this V6 box. Tried again, still just a solid red light on the remote.

Hmmm... Searching the forum again and apparently there are 2 remotes. I found a post with a photo of them and it seems I must have been sent the older remote that only has IR not RF. So I just need to order a new remote I guess. Nothing is ever straightforward in my world.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Nooooo I didn't mean to mark this as new! I meant to mark it as Edit!

Found the newer smaller remote eventually. My wife vaguely remembered me saying to continue using the old TiVo remote when we got the V6 box as that worked ok. She gave the new smaller remote to her young grandson to play with, but he wasn't interested fortunately. Just found it in a box upstairs and it's now linked ok. Phew!

But couldn't respond earlier due to a power outage for an hour and internet for a further 3 hours. Unusual to get either, let alone both at the same time.