Menu
Bob63
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Remind

Why is there not just a remind function only remind and record?
0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Remind

Incase you miss the reminder, you will also have it recorded
Bob63
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes but I don't always want to record it. Like sky news just watch it
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

This has been discussed ad nauseam before.

All tuners on TiVo boxes are used for recording and the only way to provide a reminder is by reserving a tuner by setting it to record.

If you are in front of the TV when the reminder is issued, you can decline the recording. If you're not there, isn't it better to have it recorded so you don't miss anything?

MamaS
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I was looking for the same functionality, and ok, I can live with record and remind with the option to cancel the recording. I've got plenty of space on my box if I miss the prompt, since it's not recording any suggestions... whole other story...

but here's the thing. I'm on my iPad and thought I know, I'll set a record and remind for my old TiVo upstairs to watch that new fake Dr thing on BBC. Then when I've done feeding cats, brushing pegs, I can wander up and if I'm idly filling time listening to some radio thing over the TiVo and don't notice the time, it'll flag up.  

But I can't set to record and remind using the tv anywhere app, only record. So how do I make that happen, or something like it, if I'm not sitting in front of it when I remember to remind myself. Or am I missing something..

and btw the forum interface is truly rubbish if you want to ask more than a tweet)

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You are correct that you can't set a Record & Remind from the TV Anywhere app but why would you want to, given that you are not too far away from the TiVo or V6 that you want reminded on?

Yes, it would be great to have it but no real inconvenience.

0 Kudos
frankgibb
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I know things have moved on since this thread was opened. The app is called TV Control. But it still doesn't have the Record and Remind function. You ask why this is needed. I can give you a perfect example. My mother in law (83) has great difficulty working the remote controls, a combination of dementia and arthritis. She presses buttons on the TV remote instead of the VM remote and vice versa. Tonight she wanted to watch a program at 9pm. Around 7pm she called because she had trouble getting the TV on the right channel (source was set to Aerial) and when I talked her through fixing that I then had to talk her through setting her TiVo onto the correct channel. With instructions not to change the channel as her programme would come on at 9pm. That's not practical for two reasons. Firstly it meant that she couldn't watch any other channels for 2 hours. Secondly, within the 2 hours she will forget and change the channel. From my house, if I could set the Record and Remind she could change channels (on purpose or accidentally) but at 9pm the programme she wanted to watch would automatically come on.
0 Kudos
frankgibb
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As a corollary, why do I have to be on the same network in order to be able to change channels using the TV Control app? I wouldn't need the record and remind function. And I know I could set up a VPN so that I can be on the same network, but why should I have to do that?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@frankgibb wrote:
As a corollary, why do I have to be on the same network in order to be able to change channels using the TV Control app? I wouldn't need the record and remind function. And I know I could set up a VPN so that I can be on the same network, but why should I have to do that?

Because TiVo has designed the remote function to work that way. On no TiVo based box is it possible to have the companion app duplicate the remote functions when you're away from home.

A big part of this is that the older TiVo network remote protocols don't really have any security protections, so restricting it to your home network reduces the risk of your box being controlled by an unauthorised person.

Saying that I believe TiVo did introduce another set of protocols for their own use which are more secure, however the original set of remote protocols still exist and they are documented here:
https://www.tivo.com/assets/images/abouttivo/resources/downloads/brochures/TiVo_TCP_Network_Remote_C...

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@frankgibb wrote:

The remote control functionality works by connecting directly to the TiVo across the home network for speed, if it connected through a remote server like the functionality for setting recordings does, then it would have led to a really annoying lag when trying to use it as a remote. What you require would therefore require a completely different method of connecting to the box to be created in order to cover what is a fairly unusual situation, as most people have no need to change channels when they aren't actually at home and watching the TV.

There are ways to do what you want, a Logitech Harmony universal remote with their associated Hub and smartphone app would do the trick for instance and plenty of other bespoke solutions.

0 Kudos