cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relocating V6 Box In The House

Poddys
Dialled in

This is a bit of an unusual question but I'm sure we are not alone in this situation.

When our Virgin service was installed, we had our TV connection (now using a V6 box) in the front room, but the Router and phone were cabled to be at the back of the house, so 2 different locations for the cabling.

Due to a change in circumstances (elderly Mother-In-Law coming to live with us), we have had an extension built at the back of the house, so will be watching TV there instead.

My original thought was to get Virgin to cable to the back of the house so we could move the V6 box to there and I'm thinking that's still probably the best plan.

However, seeing there is now a 360 tv system I'm wondering if that might be an alternative, although I guess it would come at a price. Eventually we would want a TV in both rooms, however MIL might live for another 5 years and technology is constantly changing, so planning now for a future date seems in some ways pointless.

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts and appreciate any positive suggestions.

14 REPLIES 14

Our Virgin TV cable comes in the front of the house but that room is being re-purposed so we need to move our V6 box to a new room at the back of the house. That will I assume require a new TV cable to be run around the outside of the house from box outside the front of the house to the new location.

This new location won't be ready for another 2-3 weeks (still has to be plastered etc), but I wondered what the lead time might be, as ideally we would like to move our V6 box and use it as soon as we can move into the new room.

Also wondered about the cost of getting this done, whether it's a standard charge etc?

We still want to leave the existing TV cable in place so we can in future have live TV in both rooms. I know technology is changing with 360 etc, just wanting to keep our options open.

Thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Poddys wrote:

Also wondered about the cost of getting this done, whether it's a standard charge etc?

I think I answered this in post-2 above.. "First the easy one - relocating any VM connection points can be done, you'll need a non-fault tech callout to make changes to your cabling or connections - this is a flat £25 and can be arranged either by calling in (on the usual number) or waiting here for staff to pickup."

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks. I wasn't sure about the price, £25 isn't too bad.

I don't have a date yet, but might give them a call anyhow and see what the lead times are. Last time we tried to make changes when we moved house, a nice person in India sorted it all out for us and 2 days later everything went dead - tv, phone, internet, not 3 weeks from then. So a little wary...

Quick update...
The engineer came yesterday, really nice guy. Did a great job of running the cable where we wanted and it's all working perfectly.

Hi @Poddys,

Thank you for the update. I'm really glad to hear that this has now been resolved for you.

Please do let us know if there's anything more that we can help you out with.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!