cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording on the V6 Box

Brucie
On our wavelength

Can someone please explain the difference between recordings and streaming on the V6 box when using the series link  ? It may sound a stupid question but being elderly and not technically savvy i just need a simple explanation  ? Answers much appreciated 

Regards 

Brucie 

6 REPLIES 6

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Series links can have two sources of programs.

Recordings - your box will record a copy of a program when it is broadcast. You can view this at your leisure at any time in the future.

Streaming - your box has access to many ‘on demand’ sources of programs which have a limited period of access. You can watch these at any time while they are available to watch. These programs generally fall into two categories - catch up, which are recently broadcast programs, generally available for 30 days from date of broadcast, and on demand, which are programs that are not currently being broadcast but available for a fixed period of time.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your box receives two types of content:

1) Linear Broadcast channels. These come down the cable in the same way as they do from a TV aerial. Your box has 6 tuners that can receive 6 separate channels at once & can record these to the boxes internal hard disk so you can play them back later.

2) Streamed IP content. This is an individual unique stream that the box requests it be sent when you ask to view it. This content is held on an internet server & the box receives the stream via your Broadband hub. As you have complete control over the individual stream your box receives (play, pause, rewind etc) it behaves like a recording, but it is not stored on your box.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To add - the V6 has a facility to create a "bookmark", or a shortcut, to OnDemand content that appears in your "my shows" list.

You can then view the VoD shortcut alongside other recordings, and play it in the same way - but it's just a shortcut and not a recording.

On any programme that has an OnDemand version available, you can "create a shortcut" within the V6 menu system. If you have a series-link that's set to use "recordings & streaming videos", then the box will lookout for the opportunity to create an OnDemand shortcut, whilst prioritising a linear broadcast recording to the hard drive.

If you have a series-link set for "streaming videos only", the V6 will make no attempt to record from a channel but will lookout for any OnDemand versions and create shortcuts to them.

Brucie
On our wavelength

Just to be sure i am getting the correct results from my V6 box using the series link function  ,so do i gather that i only need select the record option and not recording and streaming options for recording new programming i wish to watch back at a later date ?

Regards 

Brucie 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Better to click "reply" in your existing post than start a new one. I've moved it across for now.

There's 3 options in a V6 series-link, under the recording field..

1: "Recordings only" - does what it says, records broadcast programmes that meet the criteria.

2: "Recordings & streaming videos" - Seeks OnDemand episodes that meet the criteria, but also looks for recordable programmes. Recordings will always replace a VoD shortcut, which is effectively treated as an insurance.

3: "Streaming videos only" - only creates OnDemand shortcuts and won't record anything.

Hi Brucie 👋 welcome back to the community! Thank you for posting. 

Huge thanks to the community for offering so much support with this! Hopefully the support and advice they offered with this was able to answer your question and help! 

To get the most out of the series link function and optimise the available content we would suggest using both 'recordings and streaming videos' options via series link. However it is completely up to you if you would prefer to avoid streaming these programs. 

If you have any further questions please do return to let us know and we will be happy to help!

Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly