cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording live events.

Gtonyg
Tuning in

Why when we’re in 2021 does virgin tv not know when events are extended and keep the recording going. My series link for the F1 has now not recorded the end of two events. In both cases the race was extended due to crashes or bad weather. I sit down to watch them and the end is cut off. Sky recognises this and keeps the recording going. Why not Virgin ?//

7 REPLIES 7

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A much asked and answered question over the years. A search should provide the answer.

Basically it’s down to the complexity of TiVo series links and the requirement to process them when Guide changes happen.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

PS Always add hours to Live events on your series link or single recording.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

TiVo & V6 do have a flag in the EPG for live events, and if you're setting a manual recording for one, you're prompted to add padding before the recording is set.

If there's a particular programme/series that you want to "cover every eventuality" with, such as this, you can do one of two things:

1: Amend the padding on individual recordings, or better still...

2: Amend the padding on the series link to add extra time to all scheduled recordings.

Ok. I’ll do the padding. As it’s a series link it’s going to add the padding onto each recording in the link I assume. So over a weekend of F1 that might be 7 or 8 hours of extra recording!  Guess I’m going to have to keep an eye on the space available. 

thanks all for your responses. 

ozsat
Superstar

Actually - Sky has not always recorded the F1 to the end when a delay has occured.

@Gtonyg wrote:

Why when we’re in 2021 does virgin tv not know when events are extended and keep the recording going. My series link for the F1 has now not recorded the end of two events. In both cases the race was extended due to crashes or bad weather. I sit down to watch them and the end is cut off. Sky recognises this and keeps the recording going. Why not Virgin ?//

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Hey Gtonyg 

I've asked about this numerous times over the years, and each time I'm assured that Virgin are 'working' on being able to auto-extend live recordings, but it doesn't look like it's coming anytime soon, unfortunately. There's plenty a time I've set a recording to see an extra five or more minutes at the start, something as simple as a news flash can ruin recordings. There's nothing worse than watching a live race and the recording stops halfway through the last lap with the cars side by side. Or watching some gripping thriller where the detective says ".... the murderer is ...." and the recording stops  😠

Same with setting the programs you want to watch - Sky manages this - You can set Sky their box to automatically change the channel for each program as it begins, so no more missing out, Virgin does have the 'Record & remind this episode' function on their program menu, so at least they seem to be working on that. But again they are simply not progressing fast enough.

Let's hope Virgin can play catch-up, otherwise, we're going to have umpteen hours of useless recordings taking up space 🙄

Steve.

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unless VM have a real-time EPG, then this is unlikely to change. And that introduces some other issues, which a search of past posts on the subject will reveal. I've had a global +/-2 minutes on all my recordings for as long as I care to remember, and only occasionally have issues with programmes cut short.

I'm not sure what changing channels has to do with the original question, the V6 has 6 recording tuners so you can have 5 programmes recording in the background without having to impact live viewing - that's by design.